• In the Spotlight:

how can i get the boy to play with only boy stuff and the girl only girl stuff?

i have a set of boy/girl age 2 twins. they like each others things to play with. like the girl likes to play cars and boy like dolls. my hubby hates it.LOL. when i paint my daughters nails my son also wants his painted. I DONT THINK SO. he has a fit what can i do

mmyers81

Asked by mmyers81 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What does it matter? They are two. They should not be stuck in little sexist boxes. She needs to be able to play with all the toys the same as he should be able to play with all the toys. Then, she can learn equality and self-confidence and not just submissive feminism, he needs to learn empathy and sensitivity. He should be able to have his toes painted at two. They don't know they are different and they don't know gayness.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You need to research and change your outlook. You are teaching them very bad lessons with your thinking.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with a boy playing with dolls and a girl playing with cars. As far as the nail painting, while you are painting your daughter's nails, have your husband an activity with your son- play catch,play with the cars together, get a haircut at an old fashion barber shop, etc.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• you can't! LOL. My kids are the same way. Things will change as they get older. :O)
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 8:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• What does it matter? They are 2.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 8:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Letting them play with what they want will create well rounded, confidant children. I have 2 boys and a girl. The boys have had their nails painted on a couple occasions and the girl is the toughest of the lot. She can out ride and out shoot her older brother in basketball and is amazing in sword play.

The nail painting didn't go past the age of 3 because they lost interest.

Let them be kids instead of training them to be uptight and rigid.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• thanks all
    mmyers81

Comment by mmyers81 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't think it's a big deal, they're two. If my son wants his nails painted I paint them. He has dolls (he's an only child so no blaming the sister, lol). He also has trucks. His favorite color is pink most days, others it's orange. It's not a big deal. They grow up and go to school and learn the "normal" things to play with/do. At that age they don't know that society has decided that those things are only for boys or only for girls. They just know it looks like fun and they want a part of it. Let them be kids.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Why? Remind Hubby that his son is trying to be a daddy just like him. How much more macho could that be? Remind him that his daughter's interest in toy cars could work out into an interest in real cars. So what if she learns to change the oil herself or to fix small things. Men love women who do that. Very girlie! Okay, those are extreme extrapolations from 2 year old play but seriously what is the harm?
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I missed the nail painting. LOL My 6 y/o with no female siblings loves that I paint his nails when I do mine. it's just a thing. He has no idea it's supposed to be a girl thing it just looks like "fun! =D
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010