What do you think about polygamy? Religious freedom or outrageous crime?

So what do you think about Warrens Jeffs conviction over turned in Utah?

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/107188/warren_jeffs_polygamist_accomplice_to

ScoutsHonorHMR

Asked by ScoutsHonorHMR at 7:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't have a problem with it when everyone is over 18 and capable of consent. So as long as it's not 16 yo girls who've been brainwashed into it, I don't really care who or how many people are in a marriage.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I never understood why folks would back the freedom for people to have multiple spouses,but gays can't marry.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Polygamy, Well here's the pros: Someone else to do the laundry, cooking, cleaning, watching the kids, working, pleasing the DH when you are too tired and adding income & ...................??????
    Cons: Hmmmm........????????? Still thinking ???????...... Haven't come up with any yet.............
    Just kidding, not for me, but if it works for you I say go for it. Who really cares? Unless children are actually harmed, then NO!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• As long as it is between consenting adults (ALL adults involved) I could care less. I'd hate to be the divorce lawyer when someone wants out though. Personally though I wouldn't participate in that sort of marriage though, I'm too damn stubborn to share.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Keep in mind the Jeff Warren case was not one of legal consenting adults as many of his "brides" were underage girls as young as 14.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• from the interviews I have watched with people that have fled from the society it does sound as if some (not all) are abusing children. There were reports that (some not all) are holding their baby's head under water to make them stop crying- or holding them in cold water to make them stop crying-by order of the men in the home. Also they had found evidence of rape right in the very "church/temple". they have removed many many many teen mothers with their infants. Aside from all this that I could go on and on about- I believe marriage should be between one man and one woman so no I don't thing polygamy or polyandry (less common but when a wife had multiple husbands) is right or okay. This is JMHO. They also teach that dinosaurs never existed and that "us" outsiders made it up.... there's just way too many things I could go on about on this topic so I will leave it that I am against it.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 8:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• its not for me but so long as they are ALL consenting adults im fine w/. in the case of Warren Jeffs it was a 14ish year old girl, so that is a crime and he married them & told her she had to have sex w/ him so he should be punished in some way...but i dont know the case well enough to say what kinda sentence he deserves.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It's against the law there for should not be excepted just because a religious choice. Move to another country where it is legal. To make it right it would have to be legal for every one not just those of a religion. We have already seen the damage that can cause that is why it was made illegal. This is why religion views should be kept out of law. By allowing this it is opening the door for other things. What next the KKK church gets protected for murdering a minority because it is their religious choice? Think about it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• The interesting thing here is that is we redefine marriage for one group (same-sex), another group is going to cry discrimination and want marriage redefined once again for them.
    Anonymous

• Marriage wasn't "defined" to begin with until the 1970's so really it's a moot arguement. If it's between legal consenting adults (as in all people consent to it and are over the age of 18) then what business is it of anyone else's?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2010