How do I get him ready and on time to school?

My son loves school but NOT mornings. He never wants to finish eating, get dressed, brush hair and teeth. I have to push him to do everything! I tell him to do things over and over. Any tips or help? How do I motivate him in the morning?

table4six

Asked by table4six at 9:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• heck i don't know. make him wake up earlier??

feed him coffee!! jk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• What time is he getting up? What time is he going to bed? How much sleep is he getting? A 7-12 year old should have 10-11 hours of sleep per day. Some of the resistance you are getting in the morning could be caused by not enough sleep and wanting more sleep. (i.e. not ready to be up). http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/how-much-sleep-do-children-need?page=5

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I think the only way would be to wake him up earlier. Yes, I know that means you'll have to get up earlier too, but if that's the only way, then you'll both have to suffer for awhile until you can get into a routine. I always got up early enough so that I had time to lounge around before school, even when I was in elementary school. I was late for class maybe once, and it wasn't my fault. My parents pushed me when I was little and then I eventually figured out good times to wake up so I'd be able to watch TV or have time to eat breakfast without worrying whether I'll be late or not.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My son used to go to sleep at 9 and mornings were hell. I started making him go to sleep at 7:30 and now, sometimes he gets up before I do. He still doesn't like eating breakfast though. I'm not sure what to do about that. He never likes to eat for at least an hour and a half after he wakes up. We can't do that now that he's in school.
    TattedMommyof2

Answer by TattedMommyof2 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• A really good morning routine and a set schedule of doing things the same time every day will do wonders for your mornings.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Doing as much the night before (i.e. setting out clothing, preparing lunches, etc.) will go a long way in helping mornings run smoother. I also agree with the moms who said that a good nights sleep is very important. My son is 8 and goes to bed at 8:30 every night. He wake up at 6:45 a.m.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 10:17 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I actually have two alarms set in the kitchen (one clock-radio, and one kitchen timer) The first one goes off when we have 20 minutes until departure time. This reminds the kids that they need to finish breakfast and get their backpacks loaded, school clothes on and hair combed. The second one goes off 5 minutes prior to departure. This tells them they need to get shoes on and be ready to walk out the door. If they are totally ready to go before the second timer goes off, they earn a "point" which can be saved and "spent" on a later day at my "Mom store" on little doo-dads, erasers, tiny toys that cost 25 cents, etc... This really motivates them!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 12:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My son is 5 years old and what I do is. I wake him up about 15- 20 before a show comes on that he likes and I tell him he has to get dressed,teeth&hair brush. Then he can sit and watch his show & eat before he leaves for school. Good Luck To You!
    rosie823

Answer by rosie823 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Have him pick his clothes the night before. I have the backpack ready to go and right next to the front door too. Move his wake up time 1/2 hr earlier. Make the morning routine the exact same every day. The order will be yours of course. Wake up go to the bathroom, eat breakfast, get dressed, brush teeth, brush hair, wash face, put on shoes, grab jacket, pick up backpack out the door. Every morning ask the list, have you brushed your hair? Yes? Have you washed your face? No? Wash it? Have you washed your face? Yes? Do you have your shoes on? Well put them on. So on and so forth. That's exactly what we do and it works like a charm.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I set my boys clothes out the night before. As soon as they get up they know they have to get dressed. You could make a chart and list all the things he has to do and the time they need to be done by. Tell him as soon as he finishes all the tasks he can turn the tv on, but not before.
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2008