space program

how do you feel about the space program in fl is being shut down? they gave out the 60 day notices to employees today!!!!!!! what a load of crap!!!!!! what do you think?
im talking about the one in cape canavrial

firstimemomm603

Asked by firstimemomm603 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think its pathetic. More people out of work, this world is really messed up,I'm quite concerned for our future and my childrens,and their childrens children. We just might be staring into a world war III happening soon on our own front porch. NK is really adamant about kicking someones butt right now as we speak. And I'm not too happy about the way China is treating us.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 8:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It actually was Bush who shut down further funding for the space shuttle program on April 1, 2005, then in 2008 signed an initiative allowing for one more shuttle mission.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• "Our workforce has known for several years that the Space Shuttle Program has been scheduled to end, but layoffs are always difficult for everyone involved," said Virginia Barnes, USA president and chief executive, said in a July 6 statement. "We are committed to making this transition as smooth as possible."

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well, seems like it isn't so unexpected to those involved in it. It is just "news" to us! More people on the unemployment rolls, though. And I don't like the idea of depending on other countries to get up to the ISS. That just goes against the grain, somehow.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I disagreed with the Bush NASA cuts and the further Obama cuts. I feel as though science and technology is not the most prudent choice. Now don't ask me where the cuts should be, lord knows! lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Shall I google? or do you have a link for me?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Sorry to go off on the unbeaten path...
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 8:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Is there a link?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Okay sweet..I did some of that there googlin' before posting, but I'll get you those links. I don't know how to add a link to make it clickable:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100728/sc_space/morethan1300spaceshuttleworkersgetlayoffnotice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_program

Basically, what I got from the yahoo link was that they knew for years this program was coming to an end. I googled "space shuttle program shut down by Bush" because I remember hearing something about it back then.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2010