How much allowance for a 14 year old? And do you link it to chores or behavior?

ScoutsHonorHMR

Asked by ScoutsHonorHMR at 8:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• There should be things that are automatically expected to be done on a regular bases without having to be asked of reminded only because they are part of the family and everyone needs to pitch in and help out to make things run smoothly. $20.00 a week sounds fair, this could be used to go to the movies, go out with friends.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I never really gave allowances, but rewarded good behavior & grades. I always felt we, as a family, are a team and everyone is responsible to help out.
    ckap4707

Answer by ckap4707 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• we pay our 9-15 yr old $5 a week. I think its more than fair,sides if they need more money they can earn it by babysitting,mowing lawns,etc etc..
    We also deduct 15% if they don't have their jobs done by the time were home. If they don't have jobs done by dinner time they get no allowance.
    I would base it on chores only. Use privilages towards behavior like tv,games,friends, phone....
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 8:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Mine was given to me based on behavoir. There were chores I was expected to do without whining because I was a part of the household. If I didn't do them, or complained too much, or did something bad (like bad grades) I didn't get it. I got $25 a week, and I when I turned 15 I started paying for my cell phone bills. I also earned extra money by babysitting my younger cousins, and I got a season passport to the local theme park if my grades were good.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 8:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I'd say $10 a week. Not based on chores exactly, but because as a member of the household that they are expected to share in the chores and they also get to share in the benefits such as housing, medical care, food, clothing, and income. If they should choose to not share in the chores, then they would also not be sharing in the income anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 8:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• A child should ONLY get allowence by doing chores.
    Why pay a child for work they haven't done? You wouldn't be able to get paid from your job if you didn't do the work or you didn't show up. Why teach a child that they deserve money they haven't earned? Treat every situation as if they're about to jump out into "The Real World", because one day they will be and they'll need to know those important lessons.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I agree with jazlikemraz. Why would you give him money for good behavior? He should learn to have good behavior out of respect for his family not to make money. I would assign chores and pay for that, then he can learn how to earn money the right way.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Chores are the precursor to having a job. Allowance to a paycheck. It should only be paid for work while privilidges should be dictated by behavior. I would $10- $20 depending what chores are required.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:56 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We have a system where they earn their allowance up to $30 a month. They have chores they are required to do and if they are done on time they get paid for them. If they get sassy or disrespectful they lose a dollar and it adds up if they keep being rude. Dishes are worth a dollar they are required to do them after dinner if they aren't done by the next morning they are still required to do them but they don't get paid and if they still haven't done them by dinner time the next day they lose a dollar for every hour they sit undone. They don't get paid for being nice but they can lose money for being rude.
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 12:58 AM on Aug. 8, 2010