What does the term "Holier then thou" mean to you?

I am asking because I was actually questioned for saying it in one of my posts.
This is part of what a poster said and my rebuttal.

Perhaps they are holier than you are in your Christian life and that offends your conscience and convicts you. That would not be the fault of the Christian.

The term holier than thou is self explanatory. It means they think they are better than any one else because of what they believe. They feel it is their job to convert the masses in the ill begotten fact of believing it will save their soul. When most the people they try to save already has a good soul. Maybe just maybe you should try and save people like Charles Manson and leave good hearted people be.

So what do you believe this term means? Am I correct or just misinformed?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It means arrogant. Someone should really teach whoever wrote it that it's not a complement.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Deragatory term for someone who is a hypocrite and pushes beliefs onto someone when they don't follow them themselves. IMO

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You are correct!!!!

Answer by older at 8:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• To me, it means that someone thinks they are better than you because of what they believe.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Holier than thou means the person is arrogant because they feel what they believe makes them better than someone else.

Answer by Bmat at 8:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• That IS how I use the phrase--for christians who consider themselves superior to everyone--expecially when they are vastly INFERIOR--and feel qualified to speak and judge for their god.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• ive never heard "pushes their beliefs on others" or a want to convert others as part of the term before. i just thought it meant someone who thinks their beliefs make them a better person than others or that they are a better at their beliefs than other's of the same faith.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It means someone who is prideful and judges themselves to be righteous in God's sight...
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 8:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• A person with a sanctimonious "Holier than thou" attitude is just a person with a "I'm so much better then you" Self-Righteous conceited outlook. No, as Christs followers we are not to have a boastful attitude nor holier-than-thou haughtiness.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• To me it means someone who thinks they are better than someone else because of their beliefs.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010