What came first the chicken or the egg?

Ok this point was made in one of my posts, and it's a good one. What are your thoughts?
Did schools start teachings things like sex ed, etc. because the parents stopped?
Or did the parents stop because they knew the kids would teach it?

What do think came first the chicken (school) or the egg (the parents)?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• To be honest, I don't think parents ever really taught. My grandmother spend 4 days in bed because she thought she was dying when she got her period... No one had ever told her about any of that... Families just didn't talk about that stuff - EVER... Girls got married and never had a clue what sex was... The problem is that as society progressed... Sex education didn't... Society when from seeing sex as dirty and something to be hidden to seeing sex as natural and beautiful, but sex ed didn't progress with it. Parents who got their sex ed from their friends and bad porn just assumed their kids would get the information the way they did, the problem was the education they were getting was lacking more and more... The schools were forced to step in, in order to protect their students from themselves. Schools are their to educate, which is what they are doing, but it's sad that they have to...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think the parents stopped teaching (my mom didn't talk to me about anything) but now I think parents (myself) talk more openly to their kids.
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 8:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Parents never wanted to talk about it because they were afraid it would make the kids do it. Sex has always been a taboo subject. parents figure there will always be time LATER on,and then its too late. the kid is already sexually active. Sex ed for the most part was telling girls about their periods,and telling guys to use a condom. Even when i was in school in the 80's,all the talk we got was "here's what STD's look like,don't have sex or you'll die or live a horrible life" We learned abour condoms and the pill,but i think it was assumed that our parents were teaching us. i think its a case of pass the buck.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• The chicken. Parents are not really involved in their childrens lives anymore it seems.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If you grow up on a farm nobody has to explain anything to you. You learn which eggs are for eating and which eggs have baby chicks in them. You learn about stud fees and visiting males. You learn about planting seed and harvesting months later. Okay you might also believe a knife under the bed cuts the pain of childbirth. And if somebody tried to explain IVF you would look at them like they had 3 heads. So there is more to know now. But still the basics were right there in your face and there was no point to lieing about it with storks or cabbage patches stories.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The egg it came from something else that was mixed and made a flightless bird.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2010