Buying more toys for 2 year old=spoiling her?

I took my 2 year old to the local library, where they have a children's reading room. There were lots of really cool learning toys that my daughter absolutely loved! I would like to buy a bunch of them for her to use at home, but I'm not sure if I'd be "spoiling" her by buying her more toys? She has some toys at home, but they are mostly toys that are too young for her, and a lot of them are things from around the home-ribbons, bins, etc.

What do you think? She is an only child, and I want to be careful about raising her to feel "entitled". But, those toys really held her interest.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• part of parenting is making sure your child has age appropriate toys and activities to stimulate her learning and encourage play. Making sure she has the right toys in the house is one thing. Buying her everything she screams for every time you leave the house is another thing. If your child thinks she can't leave a store without a new treat then I'd say spoiled. If you feel it's a worth while investment for your family to supply her with fun educational toys, then I say that's about right.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Why not get rid of some of her older things and replace them with new? you can have a yard sale or donate.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I agree with the first poster, you kinda have to update the toys as they get older. I'd say go for it! If shes your only, then this is your chance!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i think of "spoiled" kids as the one's that don't know how to share and bully and walk all over their parents, not the one's with toys
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You'd only be spoiling her if she was bought toys everyday, if she felt entitled to something new all the time (especially if you gave in), if she expected something everytime you go out and you gave in. She's not spoiled if you buy her a new toy every now and then, especially if she doesn't feel entitled to have a new toy, or expect to get something everytime you go out. Never use buying something as a bribe or incentive either, that leads to them only doing things to get something out of it. Horrible habit.

I would suggest giving away some of her older toys or packing them away for future siblings. Then buy her the new ones. Infact involve her in giving the toys away and explain how it's important to give away old toys.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2010