Does it matter to you if baby, toddler or kid clothes are new or pre-owned??

I had both for my kids. I kept the new items for if someone came over, appointments, going out, etc. The used items were everyday things.
I bought them and they were given to me. But not given at the baby shower. Either before or afterwards when we got together.
As long as the clothes were free from stains, rips, tears, smells I had no problem with it. I purchased a very nice sweater 8 years ago from the Salvation Army and love it. It's comfy and cute.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Shopping

• it matters that they look nice. I don't run around with ragamuffins.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• nope. They grow out of them so fast its a waste to buy all new.I'm a second hand queen! I buy stuff you'd never guess in a million years it was 2nd hand.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I have no problem with used clothing. Sometimes I go into a second hand store and come out with clothes that still have the tags on them (I love when that happens.......they're super cheap!!). Normally for their good clothes I will buy brand new but for everyday there's nothing wrong with "gently used" clothing!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I was glad for second hand. Finances were tight, and most of the baby clothes had only been worn a short time. Other moms that I knew, and I, passed the clothes around.

Answer by Bmat at 9:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I love hand me downs! Most people are thoughtful enough not to pass on dirty, stained, or stinky clothes. I've gotten tons or beautiful hand me downs from friends and family. I go out once in a while and spend the money on new stuff, especially if a holiday or special event is coming up. Now that he's getting older it's getting harder to come across good hand me downs because they stay in the clothes longer as they get bigger and there is more room for damage. When they're babies they're in and out of a size so quickly everything keeps like new.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Nothing wrong with second-hand/hand-me-down clothes, especially for little ones.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My kids had very few new items. Almost all of their clothes were second-hand and I didn't care. They were in good condition and you couldn't tell either way. I have no issue using second-hand clothing as long as it is in nice condition. Infact I plan on passing down my kids clothing to the next family member who has a kiddo.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• The only time my kids got new clothes when they were babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers was if they were gifts. Especially for the first year the clothes get so little wear that they can be handed down through several kids and still look like new. I got a pair of striped overall shorts for my oldest from a garage sale - he wore them two summers (just had to adjust the buttons on the straps), then my middle son wore them two summers, a friend's son wore them and my youngest son wore them two summers and I donated them when he outgrew them and they looked great still. As long as they aren't stained and are in good condition I'm all about used. I still hit Value Village when my boys need new pants and shorts, I hate spending $$$ on new pants that end up with a hole in the knee right away.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I have no problems whatsoever with "used" clothes. Whether they be hand-me-downs or bought at Goodwill or Salvation Army, they are just as good to me as anything bought at a department store.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I buy my children new clothes but if someone has hand me downs I will gladly take them my mil is always buying my children clothes from the salvation army and when I get a chance to go to garage sales I buy them some clothes.
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 12:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2010