If your hubby was deployed overseas....

How different was he when he came back? I'm just trying to prepare myself for what I should be expecting. Thanks.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 9:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Some come back completely changed- sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. Some come back and have not changed at all. It really depends on what they experienced while overseas. Just keep in mind that the best thing to do is communicate with each other. My husband and I had a big problem with that. He has been back for two years but it wasn't until recently that he truly expressed that he can not change back to the person that he use to be. Y'all both are going to have to get use to each other, because remember, you have changed too.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I dont but my BBF does and when he came back he was a little depressed over what he say, but she says it made him greatfull to have a family!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• well said JeremysMom thats what i was gonna say too
    peanuts2804

Answer by peanuts2804 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My husband went to Viet Nam a boy and came home a man. He was a totally different person, more grown up but sad. He has never to this day really talked about the war. Once in a while if he has 1 drink too many he will, but he feels people don't really care, esp. the way Viet Nam Vets were treated. My oldest daughter is very interested and he will at times talk to her, and my oldest granddaughter wrote an essay about "My Hero" and it was all about my husband. It really made him feel good about himself, she discussed his strength, wisdom, military life and the fact that he won a Purple Heart,she is very Proud of him. My advise is, be very PATIENT, COMPASSIONATE, LOVING AND LISTEN as much as you can. Show him how much you missed and Love him no matter how he talks or acts, GOD only knows what they have seen, done and heard, I wish I had listened to my own advise, but unfortunately, I was young also.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Thank you MyAngel, I'm very touched by your answer. It is sad how the Vietnam Vets were treated. They witnessed hell over there only to come back and get spit on some more. Please tell your husband, from one Vet to another, that I am so thankful for his service. God bless you and your wonderful family!
    nicolemstacy

Comment by nicolemstacy (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It was awkward for us. We had been apart for months and then he's thrown back into our life as if nothing ever happened. It took a little while, but we fell right back into things after a few weeks.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2010