How do other countries deal with immigration?

Legal, vs illegal? Are we the only ones that have a crisis of conscience over it?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 9:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If you cross the North Korean border illegally you get 12 years hard labor.
    If you cross the Iranian border illegally you are detained indefinitely.
    If you cross the Afghan border illegally, you get shot.
    If you cross the Saudi Arabian border illegally you will be jailed.
    If you cross the Chinese border illegally you may never be heard from again.
    If you cross the Venezuelan border illegally you will be branded a spy and your fate will be sealed.
    If you cross the Mexican borders illegaly you will jailed for two years.
    If you cross the Cuban border illegally you will be thrown into political prison to rot. 
    Just to name a few...

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• stacymomof2 the question was how do other countries deal with immigration.... I was answering that... no where did I say we should emulate them.

But, we do have to do something. Personally I have no problems with immigrants.... it's when they are ILLEGAL I have an issue. Why do we, legal citizens, have to obey all the laws but ILLEGAL immigrants don't have to follow immigration laws?? Wouldn't it be nice if we could pick an choose the laws we want to obey as well. 

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It was my understanding that we were leaders...
    ___________________
    It was my understanding that we were the USA, a nation of immigrants. There would be no US without immigrants, illegal or otherwise.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Japan - arrest and deportation, prohibited social services (health insurance, etc) Undocumented children subject to deportation at majority
    UK - employing an illegal is a civil and criminal offense
    Costa Rica - transporting illegals is a 6 year prison term and employing them is a fine of about $4000 per employee
    Australia - Deportation, fines up to $66k and 2 years in prison for employing illegals or telling them where to find employment
    Israel - imprisonment of a year or more
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:24 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Probably, Do we want to be other countries?

Aren't we supposed to be that "beacon"?

It was my understanding that we were leaders...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Also, in my criminal justice class we were learning about some other countries' laws. In Singapore, you can be fined up to $1000 if you do not flush a public bathroom. You will be executed if you bring drugs into their country. I was curious about their illegal immigration so I looked it up and here is what I found- If convicted, they can be jailed up to 6 months, liable to caning, or fined up to $6,000.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't know, I'm only answering so I can find this later because it's a great question!
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• No, we are not. When I lived in Germany from 2002-2005, there was a big influx of immigrants from Turkey. A lot of them caused crime in the cities late at night. Most were on some sort of student visas but because of the problems that they were having, Germany was considering tightening the requirements for the visas. Not sure if they did do anything or not, but since many other countries citizen's can stay/live in Germany for 90 days it is hard to deal with the ones that were there "illegally"- meaning that they had been there fore more than 30 days.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• oops, meant to end that last sentence with 90 days not 30.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't have a problem being the ones with a conscience.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010