5 1/2 week old and taking Zantac

My 5 1/2 week old son is on Zantac for GERD. The stuff smells terrible and if his spitting it out and sour face is any indication it must taste terrible too. Anyone with experience with Zantac 15 mg for GERD and newborns have any suggestions for getting him to take it without spitting it back at me.

nicki.hemingway

Asked by nicki.hemingway at 9:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• When my children were that small it made it easier to use a dropper and then put it in their little mouth to the inside of their cheek and gums.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I recomend a chiropractor for GERD, and reflux and the like before ever resorting to medication.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't think my children had to take meds at that young of an age....but as an infant that works best. I am pretty sure I gave my babies liquid Tylenol like that.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• a friend of mine had a little one who took it too. She was a breastfeeding mom. She went dairy & gluten free, after a few wks her little boy no longer needed the meds
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• if you are not breast feeding, it is not too late, and like lynette said...dairy could be the culprit. it is worth a shot!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• He is on Alimentum formula. His allergy list is quite extensive and I am not medically capable of breast feeding. The doctor said to try the Zantac after 5 weeks of trying everything else. Even the rice cereal in the bottle didn't work because apparently the manufactures put soy in the cereal. Go figure.
    nicki.hemingway

Comment by nicki.hemingway (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I had to give my dd Zantac when she was tiny like that and I'd aim for her cheek more than the back of her throat. Any kiddo that's had this problem that I've know has not had to stay on the Zantac for very long. Good luck!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My daughter was on it by that age. I used a very small dropper and put it in the back corner of her mouth. It's natural for a baby to push anything out with their tongue so you gotta get it behind the tongue. When my daughter got a little older she learned to spit that out too, and we just had to get crafty...you'll find little tricks that work. Good luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• DH's cousin mixed it right into the bottle, every bottle. None of my babies had reflux so I didn't question it.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yeah, my DD had it too. I don't remember when we stopped giving it to her. She's 18 months now, and it's been quite a while.

Since you're using formula, have you considered mixing it in with the bottle? I'm not sure if this is a recommended way to do it or not. But an idea.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 10:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2010