gallbladder removal

do you have to stay in the hospital overnight after gallbladder removal.. i ask cause they want to remove mine after baby comes but im worried about breastfeeding and that...

oppsdiditagain

Asked by oppsdiditagain at 10:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Health

• I had mine removed when my oldest was 6 months. It was day surgery done laprascopically, I was home by mid-afternoon. I wasn't bf'ing by then with my oldest, but I did have day surgery when my youngest was 6 months. Once you are released you should be fine to bf'd, make sure the Dr knows you are bf'ing so if he prescribes a painkiller for you to have at home it's compatible with bf'ing. I bf'd my son right before I went in to pre-op, then depending on how long it takes and how often your baby is nursing you'll mis 2 - 3 feedings, so have some pumped milk for bottle feedings and you'll probably want to pump as soon as you can after surgery. Having my gall bladder out was wonderful - no more attacks. I had it done on a Thu and was caring for my 6 mo ds by myself on Mon.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• my friend had it done & it was an outpatient procedure
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I had my gallbladder out and I was sitting up right after the operation and went home the same day.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Having it done by laser makes it soooo much easier.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I had mine removed it was as an out patient. If they do it laparoscopically it is  usually one day. I don't know about breastfeeding you should talk to your OBGYN.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Outpatient, but you're gonna be warned about activities/lifting/etc for a week or so after.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Had mine done when my dd was around 3 months and felt tired but did well, and did nurse though I froze some breastmilk for my husband to use while I was in the hospital.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• They call it out patient, but technically you spend the night - which you need to recup. I had mine out laparoscopically after my last daughter (she was about 2 months old). I did feel some pain, a little worse than the follow up from childbirth. I agree with some previous posters about talking to OB or freezing breastmilk. You will probably be in and out in a little over 24 hours. Good luck!
    LakeMomto3

Answer by LakeMomto3 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010