Why do most students love learning new things, but hate school?

nicolesweet

Asked by nicolesweet at 10:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in

• Because school involves sitting still. It's really not well thought at all.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Anonymous

• Who hates school? LOL. MOST students? I don't think so.
    My kids didn't hate school. In fact, one of my kids likes school so much she went back to get her MBA at age 36 years of age and is considering more education. :-) I honestly don't know many people who hate school. Not even very many kids either. BUT...maybe the ones who DO hate school are not happy about having teachers telling them what to do and hate to conform and be quiet in class and resent the fact that they actually have work for their grades? Hostility toward "authority figures" ?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Learning is adventurous.. It makes you feel good! We all want to learn.. Its wired into us.. No matter your age, we are all searching for something new to learn, to grow...
    School is full of stress, social stress... Your peers are judging you. your peers "tell you" if your smart, cool, dumb, pretty, ugly.. when you are worried about that, learning is hard.. Your mind isnt 100% on the books. Its on the cute boy next to you, or the popular girl you wish you could be, or rolling your eyes at the fat chic in front of you...
    In school you must learn what the teacher tells you & only with the time limit & study material she gives you.. You must learn the subject when the school says (NOT when want to learn it)..
    We are taught by our peers school sucks!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think the idea of standardized mass education is a very poor idea. Let's compare millions of students to each other based solely on age and then determine who is "gifted" (a rarity) and who is "learning disabled" (a harsh stigma). The real world is not ordered according to age. You are taught to think "correctly' and never be a free thinker. They don't want freethinkers, they are disruptive and don't fit well into the mold. You are taught to take orders and be an employee.

If you are genuinely interested in the question, I highly recommend reading a John Taylor Gatto book. He has several. He is an incredible writer and an inspirational being.
    tennisgal

Answer by tennisgal at 11:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• agree with tennisgal!
    JTG has a youtube video.. Ive tried to watch but could not finish it! Wish our library had books from him though :( just searched & found nothing!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sitting still sucks...especially if you have an unenthusiastic teacher...nothing sucks more than being able to tell your professor/teaches loathes teaching, it in no way motivates students.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 10:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Many students don't hate school on their own. They learn to hate school from their parents, siblings, and friends who don't like school. By late elementary years it's just not cool to like school, so they have to hate it, even if they don't. Others are turned off of school by teachers who don't give their students enough opportunities to feel successful, don't let children learn by their own preferred learning styles, or (unfortunately) tease/put down their students in a lame attempt to motivate them.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 12:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I've read Gatto's book and I believe he's right. I've seen it.

Children are born with a natural curiosity and desire to learn. When they're not allowed to learn about something that interests them and forced to learn about things that don't, it does something to that desire. When they're forced to sit in a classroom for hours, day after gorgeous day, while every cell in them wants to be active and/or outdoors in the beautiful fresh air, it makes them resent the institutional learning. If teachers had the opportunities and freedom to step outside the box when it comes to teaching and make things more interesting, more fun, more geared towards a student's inclinations, I believe more children would enjoy school. Instead, you've got bored students and students that don't "get it" because they learn in a different way that's being taught. Bored, uninterested students are prime ingredients for "hating" the institution of school
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Teachers need to make content relatable for students. Tune in to what is going on with the youth and customize a lesson. Teaching is not a one size fits all profession. Teachers have to understand the learning styles of their students. When I was a young girl math teachers taught math in a way that usually resonated with boys. Now as a teacher I teach math and weave in art...geometric shapes are not particularly interesting, but when we show students that geometric shapes appear in art and architecture - well, it becomes something a child can grasp. And...it avoids that dreaded question, "when am I going to ever use that information."
    EvesMom731

Answer by EvesMom731 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

Next question in
I got a ZERO on my test...

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Plan Jane