Am I a loser just because I choose not to go back to school?

School was always very hard for me and unlike many my age, (36) I'm choosing not to go back. I hear people say..."Don't you want to better yourself?"

I make enough money to support myself and my kids and I a DAMN good mother, friend and daughter!!...is that not enough?

Can't a person better themselves without going back to school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Can't a person better themselves without going back to school?

Absolutely! I am learning the hard way that a college degree does not have much meaning anymore. Employers want experience.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• School is for fools. lol jk

But seriously, if you are happy, and doing good in life, you dont need school.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It depends on what you want to do with your life. Some jobs require degrees, while others you can have experience.

ex: you could work your way up from human resources asst to human resources specialist
    but
    you can't work your way up from counselor to psychologist/therapist
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Nah, I get that from my dad all the time. I suck at algebra and I cannot wrap my almost 36 year old mind around the concept of it at this moment. Right now my kids need me. Though they drive me crazy and at times I feel they are sucking the life from me, I cannot give school my 100 percent.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

agreed
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 10:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• if you cant support yourself, have everything you need and can give your kids things they want and take vacations etc. things like that, then no you dont need to go back to school. but if your struggling, then it would be good to go back to school. im a big supporter of college, i think it makes people an all around better, smarter and well educated person, it gives you more opportunities for work, and when you have children - it makes you a better role model because it will make them more likley to go to college. & yes the economy is bad right now, and even if you have a degree, its hard to get a job, but its not going to be like that forever.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yeah who cares what others think you just be happy!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yes, could be. :-)
    Anonymous

• I agree with you! I hear things like that often. That i am wasting my skills because I have chosen to be a stay at home mom.
    I think you can better yourself without school and who says you even need to? I am sure there are ways to advance at your work without going back to school, if you even feel the need to advance. There is nothing wrong with being happy with where you are and the way you are.
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Do what makes you happy and don't worry what other's say. Yes a degree is nice to have but it doesn't necessarily make your life any easier.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2010