How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to listen?

I need help; I've tried time outs, talking to him, reasoning, redirecting, etc. I don't know what else to do, it seems like he is always coloring on walls, pulling off decorations, climbing on things. We have hidden anything he can write with but even that doesn't seem to stop him. Is this just the terrible twos or something much worse? This has just started recently; I don’t know what to do. He never used to act like this. Please don’t bash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like the terrible twos. We spank. Not hard, not formal, over the knee like we will when he's older. But an effective swat on the thigh combined with a time out and brief discussion of what is not permitted has always worked wonders for us.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well, since smackin your kid is soooooooooo frowned upon, scare him. Tell him the boogy man will come if he keeps writing on the walls lol.

After a while though, seriously, children need a spanking. My mom beat my hiney when I was young, and I turned out pretty good. Its the kids that didnt get their butts whooped who are the bad ones later on in life. I mean don brutally beat him. Even a slap on the hand every once in a while.

My mom also made us stand in the corner and threatened to beat our asses if we moved. (kinda like time out, except after a while your legs started to hurt) lol

And its not going to damage your child mentally because I'm fine, and I'm sure your mom kicked your butt when you were younger too.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• A swat on butt or hand works best and sometimes the scare tactic.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• He's just exploring and being a typical toddler. Don't make him feel bad for accidents or anything really. Talk in a firm voive and explain in short words he understands why we don't color on walls, etc. Keep stuff away from him that is a curiosity. I haven't a crayon, pen, pencil, etc in my house that isn't on a top closet shelf. What works best honestly is praising toddlers when you "catch" them being good. Talk in a really sing-song high-pitched voice when he's good. "Oh my! You peed in the potty! Good Job! Give me a high 5!" Things like that. It can be something small. "I'm so proud of you for saying thank you!" Toddlers aim to please, even though you might not see it right away. This works on into later years too. It's amazing.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2010