Speech at 18 months old

Should I be worried that my DD says only mama, dada, bye, uhoh and that is all. I was thinking my other two were talking a good bit by this age. Or just her normal development. She follows commands and leads you to things she wants. I know she is hearing us. She did fail her hearing test prior to ear tubes in May. Just curious.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They develop differently, but ask the doc at the next appt
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I can't say if that's normal or not because all of my boys had major speech delays thanks to hearing problems (for oldest two) and a cleft lip/palate (for my youngest one). I would suggest talking to your doctor though and let him/her know your concerns. If he/she is concerned they can help point you in the right direction to help her speech along. Good Luck!
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If she was having trouble hearing earlier I would expect some speech delay for a little while. I wouldnt worry about it; she'll catch up.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son is gonna be 20 months in a few days and he only says 6 words and I even had a speech threapist come to observe him he's fine. All children develop differently. good luck
    heyiitsang84

Answer by heyiitsang84 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Its normal for them to not be talking at this age...but yes if you are worried talk about it with her doctor....I was worried when my daughter wasnt saying actual words at 18 months now shes 24 months an says 4 to 5 word sentences like "mommy I want to eat" or "thank you mommy" an "i wub you" give her some time shell start saying words
    arielmarie394

Answer by arielmarie394 at 1:51 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My son only was saying wow at 18 months, and now he will say dada and dog, but that's it. my dr is not worried. babies are not supposed to have conversations when they're only 1 1/2
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010