My son is starting Kindergarten...

on Augusts 15. He's our oldest so he's the first to be going off to school. School starts at 8:45am. I'm wondering if I should start making him go to bed at 8pm now, or should I just let him enjoy the rest of the time before hand and then start the new bedtime the weekend before school starts? Is it hard to get them used to that kind of schedule?
(It's 9:30 here, and he's still playing Wii while his sister gets ready for bed at 10. Daddy goes to work right when they get up and doesnt' get home til 8pm. which is another reason to delay the new bedtime.) ?? What would you do?

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have him in pajamas, story picked out, in bed, waiting on daddy, so all your dh has to do is spend time with him when he arrives. They can chat a bit, read a story or whatever, before bedtime.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• let him spend atleast an hour with dad before bed.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yea try to get him to bed earlier, it will be easier for you in the morning. If you start fighting him now about it, in a few weeks it wont be as bad because if he gives in, you wont have to fight him when you know you'll both have to wake up earlu
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• my kindergartner will have to be at school by 750am...so we'll definitely begin earlier bedtimes in a couple days. he normally goes to bed between 830-9pm..but is used to sleeping to that time, too!. i'm going to shoot for bed at 8, and hope he's out by 830.
    we'll see.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son is going to Kindergarten on August 13th. This week we have slowly starting getting him use to going to bed early and waking up early. Next week, his bed time will go back to 8 o'clock. I would give him at least a week or two of an adjustment period of getting back to bed at an earlier time. You don't want him staying up until 10 on the night before school starts and then being sleepy on his first day of school.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You need to start adjusting him a few weeks out, not a few days.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Get him to bed...This is goin to be a huge adjustment to both yall so start tomorrow...He will be able to get his daddie time in the weekends and off dayz...You dont want him sleepy in class because he's learnin the foundation to build on...Sleepy kids dont do well in school...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• From personal experience - start the new routine ASAP. Don't give up the routine over breaks - a few strays are okay, but if you can keep up with a regular bedtime most of the time you'll be better off. My kids have a school bedtime of 7 (which we'll push back to 7:30/8 this year) and summer bedtime of 8-9, and it really messes with them. We haven't been strict enough with bedtime this summer and I really notice it. Last year it was hard to get them to go to sleep on time to get up earlier after being too easy-going over the summer. We're going to be getting more strict about bedtime starting this weekend - no ifs, ands or buts. And mine don't start school til Aug 24/Sep 7/8.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would start the new bedtime the week before school starts. It will take a little getting use to but once you start it will be a piece of cake.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• ,y oldest dd will be in first grade this year so i guess I need to start getting her re ready for school. I hope your little boy enjoys kindergarden my dd sure did :)
    mommy2girls0305

Answer by mommy2girls0305 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 29, 2010