i was wanting to ask some moms about autism

My son is two years old..he only says maybe 15 words..i have brought him to the doctor and they say its just his speech..umm... my brother has autism and just somethings reminds me of him..plz can some one help..thank Reachelle

Reachelle

Asked by Reachelle at 9:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My step-son is 8 and I swear he is autistic. So I emailed one of the moms on here who is a pediatric nurse and has been studying autism for like seven years. She gave me a lot of helpful information. I will send you a message to your inbox with her name so you can email her and ask her questions. She is really nice and really helpful.
    meriahmn

Answer by meriahmn at 9:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Is he exhibiting any other autistic behaviors? Lack of eye contact? Repetitive motion/stimming? Does he echo what he hears, yet can't carry on a normal conversation? Does he have any odd behaviors? Head banging? Walks up on his toes? Crankier than most children his own age? Does he line things up? Does he crave certain foods? Has he been vaccinated? If so, did he have any type of reaction and/or did you notice any regression at that point?

I would have him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician and/or a DAN doctor if this is something you think he is dealing with. Early intervention is key. Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I worked with children who had MR before I had my daughter. I would definatly get a second doctors opinion and have tests done. The sooner you find out the easier it will be to deal with. It may be something like fragile X or something, as well, instead of full blown autism. Good luck!
    USMCwifey1371

Answer by USMCwifey1371 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i'd just like to respond to the question

Has he been vaccinated?

There are quite a few OPINIONS out there that vaccines cause autism, but the cold, hard scientific facts suggest otherwise.  Given what we do know about the nature of autism and the mechanism of action of vaccination, it is unlikely that vaccines themselves cause autism.  Oh yeah, and that additive that people thought cause autism, thimerosal?  It hasn't been included in vaccines for children since 2001 and anything that might have been manufactured before that time reached the end of its shelf life in 2003.  Since you're asking this question in the toddlers 1-2 category, I assume your child would not have been vaccinated prior to the beginning of 2004...

mandilovell

Answer by mandilovell at 12:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• check out this link for more information about vaccines and thimerosal:

http://www.fda.gov/CBER/vaccine/thimfaq.htm
    mandilovell

Answer by mandilovell at 12:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• mercury free vaccines still contain mercury. The main ingredient of thimersol- a perservative. It is just so miniscule that they can say its free of mercury. Some kids get up to 5 vaccines at once the miniscule amounts of mercury add up.
    Back to the topic. My daughter who will be two, also does not have the labels or speech development I think a 2 yr old should have. My pede referred us to speech therapy- and to an ENT for testing. I think she might have to have tubes in her ears. I really doubt she is autistic, she has great eye contact, she plays with toys appropriately, and she is pretty happy child. Our only meltdown is communication when she is hungry.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2008