When should you stop swadling?

My daughter is almost 7 months old, the only way she will go to sleep is if you swaddle her as tight as you can stick her in her car seat and bounce her on your knees. I am afraid it will possibly make her learn how to do things a little slower, she can't crawl forwards yet she has the backwards down great and she can't pull her self to sit up with out help yet.
What do you gals think?

Charma7

Asked by Charma7 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest was swaddled until he was just a little over 9 months, and then he clearly let me know he didn't want to be swaddled any more. He started kicking out of his swaddle before we had even laid him down, and so we just stopped.

He was a little slower to crawl, pull up, and walk, but he is the most well adjusted baby I have EVER seen in my life. I believe that the swaddling gave him the comfort like he was still in my belly. So now he is a happy baby who loves people. He still loves his mommy, but doesn't get all freaked out if he has to go to someone else.
    LvngMamatoJacob

Answer by LvngMamatoJacob at 9:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• my daughter is six months and all she can do is roll around...the doctor said its fine...babies just learn at different paces..she will be fine tho..

as for the sleeping, it sounds like she's a little spoiled..try putting her in her crib and turning on somthing that hums...vacuum perhaps?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I still swaddle my now 5mo. old-but if she gets out of the blanket(I never seem to get it super super tight-and my babes all liked their arms out of the blanket) I just leave her alone! We are really starting to put her down half awake-but mainly super drowzy and then let her CIO a tiny bit-no more than half hour(while we are getting our toddlers to bed!) and she sleeps through the night...... She hates tummy time, so she doesn't spend much time on her tummy but she loves the exersaucer!!!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I think you need to talk to the pediatrician about your DDs development. My daughter just turned 7 months and she can sit, crawl all over and pull herself up and creep down the couch!
    She was never swaddled, she didnt like it, so I dont know what to tell you... Good luck though!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My son hated being swaddled like a week after we brought him home from the hospital. He would kick his way out & pull his arms out no matter how tight we did it. There's nothing wrong with her not doing all those things yet. My son didn't start sitting up on his own until 8 months & then he started army crawling. Right at 9 months he started crawling on all 4s & now at 9 & 1/2 months he's pulling up on things & standing up. Just give her time. Once she gets the hang of one thing she'll want to do more & more.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 11:40 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• as for the crawling she is fine, babies dont do everything according to the charts. as for the swaddling that is a baby preference, our son hated to be swaddled, we stopped swaddling him when we brought him home.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2008