Sippy Cup!!

My 6 month old DS wont suck on the sippy cup... he just bites down on it. Why is he doing this??

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 10:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its is normal both of my kids do it. Myine do it because they like the feel on the gums.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 10:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• 2 things. A) he's not ready for one B) Teething. more than likely, it's both. just stick with the bottle for a while
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Some aren't ready at 6 months.. this may be his way of telling you. Trust me he will let you know when he is ready!
    vampiremommy1

Answer by vampiremommy1 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• he's probably not ready for one yet. I tried to get DD to take a sippy at that age and she just didn't understand it. Keep trying it, he will get it.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• cause he is only 6 months.... give him time!
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 10:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• ya sorry most kids i have been around have been on a bottle till they were close to one years old. 6 months may be to early for the little tiger
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 10:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• He's probably just exploring it but if you notice he gets frustrated give him back the bottle..goodluck :)
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 10:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Thanks Laides! but keep in mind... I still give him the bottle, I am just giving him a little water in the sippy cup.
    mercilove

Comment by mercilove (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You are better off with a regular cup or straw cup. A sippy should be a temporary short use item because it is not good for teeth or for jaw development. A straw cup is also easier to use once they get the hang of it because it doesn't have to be tipped.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Try a straw cup. It might take him a while to figure out the sippy cup, just keep offering it and he'll get it over time. My daughter is almost 10 months and just started to master the sippy within the last month.

Also, he might be biting on it because he is teething.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2010