Over eating?

My 6 month old DS threw up last week because we think he over ate. I am nervous about his eating now. I dont want him to throw up again. This is what I am doing:

8am 4 ounces
10am apples
12pm 4 ounces
3pm sweet potato/rice cereal

5pm 4 ounces
7pm bananas & 2 ounces
9pm 4ounces bedtime

Is this enough???? I don't want him to be overfed, or underfed. What do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He might have just had gas in his belly....my son ate WAY more than that and he rarely vomitted...if you have any questions talk to his dr.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't think he should have real food till he's much older. I don't remember mine on solids that young, mayby just give milk , or talk to your dr about it. Is he overweight? DO u try to use food to comfort him or because It's been a while since he's eaten?
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If you let him feed himself solids, he can regulate his own intake. Formula/breastmilk first as much as baby wants, then solids (all nutrition must still come from milk as the gut is not mature enough to digest solids efficiently). Spoon feeding can tend to encourage over eating. A baby who self feeds eats slower and thus has time to know when they are full. BAby led solids
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I'd talk to your pedi. I don't think he's getting enough to drink. BM or formula should still be his primary source of nutrition at this point
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 11:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think he's supposed to be getting 28 - 32 oz of formula a day I know at six mo. my DS1 was getting 5 or 6 6oz bottles a day with only one jar of food. The formula is much more important then baby food for him at this age.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 11:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Just let him eat. If hes hungry feed him more. If he vomits slow it down. There are all the guidelines in the world, but whats best is watching his cues and trusting his body. He knows what he needs :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Your baby might've thrown up from all the solids. Seems like alot of baby food and not alot of milk. I think your baby needs more than 16 oz a day of formula, that doesn't sound like enough, it should be more in the 24 oz range.

I would cut down on the solids and increase the milk for now. Re-introduce more solids down the road, around 9 months or closer to a year.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Babies don't need baby food. At 4-6 mo they can start on fork mashed food and feed themselves. La Leche League has been recommending this for over 30 years. My oldest son is 30 so that's how I remember. Banana, sweet potato, and avocado are good first foods. Cereals are hard to digest and can cause problems in some babies. They were invented to get iron in babies before they figured out how to get iron in formula and it not taste so bad that babies wouldn't drink it. Now that formula has iron babies don't need cereal. Of course they are going to leave it on the market as long as people buy it.

You want your baby to be lean. Lifelong health problems and health problems associated with weight can start in infancy. At 6 mo your baby should have about doubled birth weight. If your baby was 7 pounds at birth then your baby should be 14 pounds.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I meant to say lifelong health problems can start in infancy.

Until a baby is 12 mo they need 32 oz of formula a day. Formula is important for brain growth. The most important task in the first year is brain growth. Human milk is best and formula (cows milk) is a distant second. Cows aren't very smart. Most other foods aren't good for brain growth at all.

The studies vary but if a child is breastfed a long time it can be an ave. boost of 10 IQ points vs formula babies (controlling for parents' IQ, income, ect.). You want to give your baby the formula avantage over solids. Those 10 IQ points can mean a lot if your child has an IQ that is low or high.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• my 6 month old eats about that amount of solids and ALOT more milk. he takes about 8 ounces each bottle. he stops when hes done with both solids and formula; he throws up when he moves alot after eating. my opinion would be a little more milk but the solids are fine.
    jeter4u2

Answer by jeter4u2 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 29, 2010