Do you think a baby with a flat head is a sign of lazy parenting?

I am talking about when babies get flat on the back of their heads and are bald in one spot. Am I the only one that sees that and thinks that baby spends too much time alone lying flat on their back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh i dont think the bald spot is from neglect. It's from baby moving his head around and rubbing it. they can do that in a carseat, bouncer, swing, and such. But the flat head thats noticable.
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 11:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• yes I do... I've seen some sickly flat heads before... :O(
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 11:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• No, I don't think that. While my son's head isn't flat, he has a ton of hair with a bald spot on the back of his head. He hardly ever lies on his back...he's always slept on his side. I'm not a lazy parent by any means.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If this a real question? Are you seriously asking if a parent is lazy because a baby has a fricken bald spot????

Wow...I have to tell my SO about this...he'll get a good laugh!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Flat head? Perhaps lazy parenting.
    Bald spot? No. That's just normal baby.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well.....I have NEVER seen that happen. Have YOU? Yikes. WHat kind of people are we talking about,anyway? Chinese orphanages?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I've actually only seen one baby like that...it was a 2nd cousin that was born when I was in my early teens. She was like that because of neglect. Her parents would lay her in her crib and that's where she stayed. So, yeah, if I'd see it again, I'd wonder......
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• No, but that is because I had a baby that I put to sleep on his tummy after only a few months (our doctor recommended it for several reasons)....he also loved tummy time and still got a big ole' bald spot at the back of his head.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• no i dont think so- 1st off they now have "back to sleep" (thus baby spends a lot more time sleeping this way than in years before) also in cases like my oldest DD (now 5) she had a flat spot because when she was awake we could never do "tummy time" she has acid reflux and would launch puke anytime she was on her stomach!!!!! so we did her muscle building activities on her back. We got her one of those underwater type play centers.... it was they only way she could build those arm and leg muscles on her own until the acid reflux subsided.....so thus spending activity time on her back (the best position for her not to puke!) and sleeping on her back this is a lot of hardness on a soft head- it rounds out perfectly fine though and in cases such as this all the time you spend holding and breastfeeding still isn't enough to counter act the flat spot.It really went away when she learned to froggy hop and walk (she skipped crawling)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 11:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• most babies get bald from learning how to move their heads back and forth, but yes the flat head is deffinately from laziness IMO.

DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010