Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

criminal past

My husbands license was suspended a few months ago because he didn't pay on a fine because he wanted to contest it,he let it go instead because he was too caught up working. He went to go renew his license last week and they told him that he has some things in massachusettes from over (20) yrs ago. I dont know what were gonna do he fled the state of mass,and came here to utah with his family because he knew he was gonna be in big trouble possible jail time. He was caught with cocaine,and he had some driving under the influence tickets,I'm not sure what other things he has or will admit too. I would think they would dismiss that charges after all its 20+ yrs old. Anyways I'm worries that he may have to go to jail or pay some huge huge fine that we can't afford. I dont have a good job I only 9 an hr and thats when she has work which is sporadic.
I just need some opinions on this matter sum1 whos been there before.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • Even if the charges are 20+ years old it will still be valid and they will still prosecute him and charge A LOT of fines/jail time/community service. Sorry you are having such a rough time but if they catch him they will most likely prosecute him...good luck and sorry I couldn't give you an optimistic answer :(

    Answer by shortleo at 11:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

  • The best thing to do is have him turn himself in. Get a lawyer and try to work out a deal with the DA. I would go with a rehabilitated defense if possible. As far as what is going to happen it can be anywhere from community service to probation to jail or prison time. It is going to depend on the charges and if he can work anything out with the DA, if not, then the judge. But again, the best thing to do is turn himself in.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 11:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

  • Just help him is all I can say. I agree with JeremysMom. But maybe get the attorney first.

    Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

  • ASSUMING YOU CAN'T AFFORD AN ATTORNEY- get him a public defender. Don't stress it could work out just fine.

    Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • Talk to a lawyer and see how much time he'd be facing if he turned himself in. Basically as long as he has the warrant he cannot go anywhere near Mass. If he gets stopped by police in Utah they may or may not extradite depending on whether or not Mass is willing to come get him. If he doesn't turn himself in then look into how far East he can go without extradition and just make sure he doesn't pass that boundary line. The charges will never simply go away. He'll need to avoid them as he's doing or face them.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.