18 month olds development

I have an 18 month old who only says 3 words "mommy.daddy,sit" I read to hom all the time but can't seem to get hom to say anyother words. He is also a picky eater and will only eat chicken nuggets, french fries, apple sause, bananas, pop tarts, cereal. Im wondering if Istart pushing hom to talk and eat more or let him do it on his own. Thanks for any advice provided.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i don't think you have to push him to do anything... but giving him the option, so maybe he will decide on his own. But you don't want him to forget about it, by just not trying to give him certain food. Also let him try your food, because mommy's food is always better :) Continue reading to him everyday, and try to get him to repeat after you. Have him look at you when you are saying a word, and have him try to say it back. My daughter didn't say much at 18 months either. She is now 21 months, and omg she is gabby!! She is picking up words and incomplete sentences and everything. Just give it time, on the bright side he is talking and that's the start. Just keep reading, and when you are outside point out different animals or objects that you see. Make it a game. Good luck
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Just keep reading to him, the speech will come, talk to him throughout the day tell him what your doing etc, my son is picky too, introduce new food to him at times but also give him foods he likes, he may be trying to use control over the food, thats what my 2 year old was doing and I called the dr and she said give him no more than 3 diff types of food at each meal that u know he likes and if he doen't want it he doesn't get to teat for 2 hours then offer him that same food when he is hungary he will eat, u don't have to force feed him or insist he eat something else, just try goiving him the best food u can, fresh organic fruits and veg, water to drink and milk etc.
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You might want to teach him a few signs, the ones for things he encounters every day, like "more", "all done", "cup", yes/no, etc. My oldest son only had about 3-5 words at 18months but he also had some signs he would do regularly. He qualified for speech therapy, we got things going with the interviews, and the paperwork and all that and when he turned 2 they got us started having a speech therapist come to the house once a week to work with him for about 40 minutes each week. It was really wonderful, he blossomed. She got him to say a new word that very first day. Now at 3.5 he's really taken off and is almost caught up. It can't hurt to have him evaluated, and can only help, so why not if it is concerning you. I think it's good to get them the extra help they need early on, and even if it's not vital- why not, it's free and imo it can only help them anyway. Early intervention works wonders. As for meals- push healthy foods.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think Ashley is right. I had a similar situation with my oldest and at 30 months we got him evaluated with a speech therapist. She gave us a lot of interesting tips like: lowering yourself when you talk to him looking for eye-contact, making statements not asking things directly to him, commenting things you do while you're doing them. Also the upside-down pyramid is a technique that works too (you can look for that in http://www.speechdelay.com/forum/) where you go from a statement (complete sentence) to a simple few words, to a word then a syllable and a sound.
    With my kid I was making the mistake of giving things to him (water, milk, toy or anything) before he would even ask for it, so he didn't need to communicate...so that was also another thing. Let him take his time to communicate things.
    For the food, be sure he's not drinking too much milk, mine wouldn't care much about food when he could get all the milk he wants
    LauraGug

Answer by LauraGug at 12:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2010