Should I get him a cell phone?

My son will be turning 5 next month. Don't shoot me yet, hear me out. LOL He goes and spends weekends with friends and weeks with my mom and grandma in NC. He gets homesick and likes to talk to us. My phone company has feature for kids that only allows him to call the numbers I want and visa versa. I can turn off all the extra features and even control when the phone is on and off. I am thinking about this for Christmas. Just so he can always call me and not feel embarrassed if he wants to come home. Am I crazy? Okay, I am crazy but what do you think?

CMDsmom0509

Asked by CMDsmom0509 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No. Why can't he use the phones of the adults/homeowners wherever he is staying?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Nope...let him tell whom he is stayin with he wants to call mommie...1st cll phn then girls in his room...lol...naw he can wait...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Okay, this sounds crazy I know. But I just think about the times I was at a friend's house and didn't want to stay. I felt embarrassed, but I think you are right. Thanks guys!
    CMDsmom0509

Comment by CMDsmom0509 (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would get him one since you can control when and who he calls.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son is almost 6 and there is no way he would need a cell phone...why can't you keep you kid a kid? why is it so hard for people to understand that when they are at a person's house 9 times out of 10 they have a house phone....it is hard to believe that 15 yrs ago people did just fine without cell phones.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• That's your decision if he knows how to use it then why not.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• wow thats REALLY young, only you know him and if hes ready, maybe you can try it out to see how it works
    cillaluvsmali

Answer by cillaluvsmali at 11:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If this is something that you think would be good for him and you, then go ahead and get him but make sure he understands how to use it the right way! The earliest I have ever gotten one of my kids a cell phone was 7 years old, now all of my kids ages 8,11,16 y.o.twins , 19, 20 have cell phones that we got for them, the only one that doesn't have one is my 4 year old and she wants 1. Do what you both feel comfortable with!!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 11:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• "My son is almost 6 and there is no way he would need a cell phone...why can't you keep you kid a kid? why is it so hard for people to understand that when they are at a person's house 9 times out of 10 they have a house phone....it is hard to believe that 15 yrs ago people did just fine without cell phones" - togo90210

I know what you mean. We are lost without cells now. My husband and I gave up cells for almost a year. It was crazy. It was nice not having it ring off the hook all the time, but we had to do what we said and come home. No ability to call and say we needed to make another stop. Payphones are almost nonexistent now. The sad thing is not only is it the cell phones into our kids lives, but the computers now too. What about the high schoolers now with Ipads and the middle schoolers who have the text phones? What happened to actually calling or talking to a person face to face?
    CMDsmom0509

Comment by CMDsmom0509 (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• See, you also have to understand that even though he is just turning 5 at the end of August, he is going to kindergarten. His maturity is higher than the normal 4 year old because he has been around kids older than him and more mature for a while now. But this has seriously got me thinking. Pros and cons list!
    CMDsmom0509

Comment by CMDsmom0509 (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010