What can I do to make my picky eaters try new foods?

My son and my little girl say they do not like vegetables and I can't find a way to motivate them enough to try them. I need ideas and recipes that are attractive and tasty for them

jvargas

Asked by jvargas at 11:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ok...use cookie cutters. for example, lookup recipes for a veggie egg omelette, then use a cool cookie cutter to get them to try it......
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My kids like some beans (such as black-eyed peas or kidney beans) only with ketchup on them. I call them "ketchup beans." They also like to dip green beans in ranch dressing. You can add a small jar of carrot or sweet potato babyfood & put in your macaroni & cheese. You may want to mix it with two boxes of mac n cheese just in case. All it took for them to eat broccoli was for my mother-in-law to call them "little trees." I put cheese sauce on broccoli sometimes and never refer to it as broccoli. Have you tried raw veggies? My son only likes carrots raw. They love to dip carrots & "little trees" and even cauliflower (white trees) in ranch dressing. I also like to mix 1 1/2 boxes of cream cheese (softened a little), 8 oz. of sour cream & a package of ranch dressing mix as a dip for raw veggies. Or, you could even buy pre-mixed onion or ranch dip to use with raw veggies.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• That's another problem, they don't like dressings either, maybe the idea of babyfood with mac &cheese could work!
    jvargas

Comment by jvargas (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• did ya ever try putting carrots in a chopper and add it to your meatloaf or to your spaghetti , also manwich has vegies in it , also, the other way to do it is to make the things the night before so the kids don't see you putting them in it .
    momofwildchild

Answer by momofwildchild at 5:00 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• when my kids were little.. I didn't want them to grow up hating vegtables like I did. I thought how can I get it done. so.. when I put vegtables on the table I put them on the table with as much excitement as if they were a cake. said how good they were. My kids liked them because they thought they were the best part of the meal..and rule was you had to eat one table spoon of everything on the table. well unless it was bannas.. my son is allergic to bannas.. but you see the point.

also,I wanted my kids to like onions in some foods... so I started grating the onions..so the flavor was there not the texture. later I fine chopped.. until they noticed. then they complained.. I told them it was no time to complain just because you notice now and explained they had been eating them with out complaint for 6 months! that shut them up. and they eat onions now all the time. and LOVE vegtables!!
    momkelly2

Answer by momkelly2 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2010