What time is bedtime for a newborn?

I'm just wondering what worked best because im expecting in September.. and im totally unsure! Please help!

janieishappy

Asked by janieishappy at 11:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when ever they fall asleep.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• What outstanding said. Newborns don't really go by a schedule they just sleep or eat whenever they need it.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• every 2 hours :) if not more. but once my daughter would sleep through the night (6 hours) i would put her to bed at midnight. I would get the same amount of sleep either way, but for some reason getting up at 6 in the morning is so much easier then 3 in the morning :) then when she would sleep for 10 hours, she would be in bed by 8! love it! it's mommy time to relax and clean up the days mess. you will figure out what works best for you. good luck!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Babies will dictate when they are awake and tired. Go by their schedule.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• newborn and bedtime don't belong together lol! they'll sleep when they want to, alot actually have their nights and days mixed up, so they'll stay up all night and sleep all day...if yours does that, try to get them out of it quick, or your in for alot of fatigue. by the time they're 2 months, if you're consistant with watching their schedule, being on cue, you will be able to lay them out at a certain time of the night. this being your first, it may take longer. it took me about 4-5 months for me to figure out my son. but with dd, i had it all figured out lol, so by the time she was 4wks i had her laying down at 8pm, the same time ds's bedtime was. she did wake up 2 times a night to eat though, but at least i got her used to 8pm. i think it helped that she felt the "mood" before bedtime, where we snuggled, read a bedtime story, ect. quietly, before bed with ds. then i'd feed her, then lay her down...it was our quiet time
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• When they get ready,,,lol
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yah, every two hours, whenever they want to, etc...
    ;-)
    There is no schedule, they are fresh from the womb...
    much of infancy (and after!) will be about following their lead. Eventually the rhythm will become more like yours, in time, over the years.
    :-)
    Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I had all 5 of mine on a flexible routine and we started a bedtime routine pretty much at birth. I was working towards 7 PM being their bedtime, so I would feed them every night right around 7, read books, sing songs, and lay them down when they were very drowsy. I would wake them at 10 to feed them before I went to sleep for the night. They would wake up during the night when they needed to nurse (my 3 week old wakes around 3:30), then I would wake them at 7 when I get up and nurse them again to start the day. It takes a while to get newborns on a schedule, but it always made my life much easier to work towards that as a goal - then I could plan my errands, appointments, etc around their naptimes/feeding times.

Answer by missanc at 8:21 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Newborns have VERY unpredictable sleep habits for the first weeks and even months of life. First of all, they have night and day confused. It's up to you to help them with that. Not to mention, newborns need to eat ALOT. So even when they do settle for a few hours, they are right back up again to eat.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about bedtimes right now. It will all come together over time. Congrats on your baby and good luck with the delivery!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2010