What is your state's kindergarten like?

I have heard some states charge for kindergarten, other state's only have half day kindergarten, and some states require kindergarten, while others don't. So, what state do you live in and what is the kindergarten like.

In Georgia, Kindergarten is free and they go the same hours as the rest of the elementary school. It is not required but it is VERY rare to hear about a child who has not gone to kindergarten and started school in 1st grade.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 11:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in

• I don't live in a state where it falls to the state to decide it. Every school district runs things the way they want, chooses the books they want, etc. I live in a district with all day kindergarten and it's great - the kids have time to do everything and still have time left for multiple recesses. We also don't have "free" schools - there are registration and book fees, and you have to buy their supplies - the schools don't hand them out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Growing up around here it was 1/2 day.... But I just looked it up & it seems they are having full day Kindergartens now.. K is free. Preschool is free if you meet the requirements

:-( that is soo sad. I remember 1/2 day was hard! I get soo frustrating thinking about dd going to school.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'm in Texas. In our district, kindergarten is a full day and free.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• In my school district, you can choose either half day or full day kindergarten. Half day is free, full day costs money, I'm not sure how much though. Some other districts in my area do free full day others just do half day, it just depends on the district.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 2:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• it is full day and free. we almost had the 1/2 was free and full day cost like $300 a month. that was because AZ cut school funding and the school distrert didn't know if they could afford free all day. but the dug for money until they found it. and it is not manditory for kids to go to kindergarden but you never hear of kids skipping it.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 10:49 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Its half day here which sucks. I went to kindergarten full day and loved it I see no reason why they only need to go for half a day.. I really dont understand it.
    cole060783

Answer by cole060783 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• oops forgot to add I was from Houston,Tx.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 30, 2010