For those of you who did NOT find out the sex of your child/children in advance, do you think not knowing made your labor & delivery go faster because you were anxious to find out if it was a boy or girl?

My co-worker has a couple of friends that are pregnant right now. It is their first child for both of them. I guess one of them read somewhere about a study that showed your labor and delivery will go faster if you don't find out the sex ahead of time because you will be so anxious to find out that you will push harder. Now my co-worker has three kids and I have one with another on the way. So we both know what labor feels like. Hence, both of us are kind of snickering at this idea because - having had children before, we both concur that while in labor & delivery the sex of the baby was not our main concern. (We didn't care if it was a boy, a girl, or an alien - we just wanted it out!) However, we admit that our opinions may also be biased since we both found out in advance what we were having. So I'm just curious if anyone else has ever heard of this 'study' and how much truth you think it holds.

Mary229

Asked by Mary229 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Not knowing seemed to make no difference in the duration or severity of my labor. First one was 23 hours, the second 20 hours. Second was hardest because he was breech and ended with emergency c-section.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:24 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I didn't know what gender my children were but couldn't care less about the gender. I just wanted them out and the pain to stop!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I did not know the gender of my baby, but do not think it had any impact on my labor and delivery. I think that regardless of knowing the gender or not, every mother is anxious to see what their little babies look like and wants to hold them.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:40 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I didnt care about the gender, I just wanted it to be OVER!!! I pushed her out in 3 pushes, it hurt, and I just wanted to get done with it!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i never found out the sex of my baby..i dont believe in finding out beforehand..if we were supposed to know what we were having we would have a window in our tummies...but yaa i was in labour for 45.5 hours then had an emergency c section..soo that study didnt work very well for me..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2008