Do you think a child should be allowed to have a tv in their room, and if so at what age?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it depends on maturity and school work i had a TV in my room as young as 5 as well as a vcr and radio but i had to earn these things i think its about showing your children if you do well in life you will have your rewards
    Zachmom09

Answer by Zachmom09 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My kids have always had a tv in there room. It was set up while I was pregnant! I leave it on a blue screen at night for a nightlight and it is not hooked up to cable or anything...just DVDs. I keep the DVDs in my bedroom so they have no access to TV without my permission and they hardly ever use it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think it's okay. My mom gave my 5 year old my sister's old princess tv and dvd player for her birthday. We already had cable in the house so we're not out any extra money running it to her room too. It keeps her behaving. She loves her tv and knows if she breaks the rules it's gone. So far no problems with it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• They can have one at age 18, after finishing high school.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I agree with Pnukey!

My kids will not have a computer or tv in their rooms until they are finished with highschool.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I had a tv in my room when I was about 12. I bought it with my birthday money and I actually still have it 10 years later! I really never watched it much though, it just helped me fall asleep
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• No, I don't.

Until they are old enough to pay for the cable to go along with it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My husband put our extra tv in my two year olds room for "storage" until we decided whether to keep it or sell it. Now she thinks she gets to watch movies in there. I was pretty furious when he did it. My cousin's three year old has one in her room as well and I think it is setting both of us up for trouble later. Its not a big deal now to let them watch tv in their rooms, but when they are in school, we are going to regret it big time.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• In general I think it should be when they are older Atleaste in elementary... In my home no kids will have tv/computer..
    I grew up with a tv in my room so never had to leave the room unless i was hungry (could eat/drink in my room) thirsty or needed to shower (i also had a 1/2 bath in my room) ...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think its ok to put a tv in your childs room as long as they know that when its bedtime the tv gose off...
    arielmarie394

Answer by arielmarie394 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010