How much does raw milk cost compared to pasteurized?

We go through several gallons a week, so if we were to try raw, I'm curious how much it would cost.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It's hard to get, and around here, it's pricier than organic
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• A gallon of 1% regular milk at one grocery store costs $3.57. A half gallon of organic at that same store costs $5.79. When my folks were buying raw organic milk from a local farmer a couple years ago, they were paying $8 for a half-gallon.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Depends where you get it. I can get it from a local farmer for half the price of pasteurized. Some places you pay waaaay more.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't know about lately, but it used to be hard to find because it was so "dangerous" - because drinking unpasteurized milk can have bacteria, etc. blah blah blah. I say it is YOUR choice and no agency should be able to tell you that you can't buy it! But I digress... personally, I wouldn't pay a penny for it - I have had unpasteurized milk (my best friend from high school's dad is a dairy farmer) and you would have to pay ME to get me to drink the nasty stuff!! lol
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think we pay almost $10 a gallon for it. Very expensive but it's healthier for you, and tastes SO much better. :)
    sliceoflife88

Answer by sliceoflife88 at 2:13 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My FIL charged about 8 for a gallon...
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 9:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It may not even be legal where you live; you may need to look for "animal milk"

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 AM on Jul. 30, 2010