Should Christians listen to secular music?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't know if they "should".., but I do... and I am a Christian and one thing that makes me a Christian is that I live for the "relationship" I have for the Lord and He has for me... I don't live by a "rule book"--that isn't being Christian, IMHO.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 11:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Welll alright MOMO!!!! Good answer!
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Best answer for momof
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Should they? I guess that's really up to the individual. The faith I belong to though has it's own book of Hymns we use...and to me that stuff on the radio just isn't the same.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I listen to all sorts of music. There are a lot of secular songs that have positive or uplifting or encouraging messages, and some songs that, frankly, are just fun. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's like saying, should Christians only read the bible and never read fiction...

Now, there are secular songs / recording artists that I don't listen to, because I find the song offensive, or because I don't choose to support that artist because of lifestyle choices (Eminem and Marilyn Manson come to mind...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My church has their own music. I really enjoy listening to the Glory Ride cd. My husband still listens to other music but I prefer the church band over anything else. They are really good! To each their own. I still like listening to the music I grew up with brings back good childhood memories.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I listen to all kinds of music, and my favorite is country. I don't listen to Christian music, because the ones I have heard are remakes of other music. Remakes make me mad no matter who does them.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• the thing you have to ask is, ''is this glorifying God?'' not all secular music is bad, but not all of it is good, either. what about some offensive lyrics-- is it pleasing to God's ears, or does it help uplift a fellow believer, or even your own soul? music certainly can change a mood, liven it, or depress it. my personal thought is 'garbage-in, garbage-out'. if its not good for my heart and mind, if its not uplifting or encouraging, or bringing glory to the Father, its garbage i'm taking in. and when i'm done chewing it, it has to come out..problem is, in what fashion will it leave my lips/my attitude/my testimony? is my listening to certain lyrics going to make a brother/sister stumble? i hope not! which brings us back to 'not all secular music is bad'.. you have to use discernment, something i feel everyone has and can use in determining what is good and what is not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:42 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i listen to all kinds of music..sometimes i find a better message in music that is considered "secular" than I do in a "Christian" song. Me and my son were discussing this just the otherday.. basically and this was a discussion that was with one of our worship pastors that there really isn't "Christian" music. There is music that gives glory/honor etc to the Lord and this can be by a Christian artist or a secular artist and then there is music that doesn't give glory/honor to the Lord. Just because a "Christian" sings a song doesn't make it a Christian song and just because a non-Christian or secular artist sings a song about God, Jesus or the Lord, doesn't make it a secular song. Sooooooooo I listen to good positive music and the genre can be anywhere from country, r&b, jazz to classic rock/hard rock/metal/screamo
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Do you think God would really care?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010