• In the Spotlight:

Trying to wean my son off the breast, but he won't take formula. What should I do, he keeps biting me

momma-meg

Asked by momma-meg at 10:04 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try training him not to bite by placing him in his crib when he does it and telling him "don't bite" and then trying to nurse later. Eventually he'll get the point. If you can't train him to stop biting try investing in a pump. It'll be cheaper than buying formula in the long run. Is he biting b/c he's teething? If he's eating solids be sure you nurse first and then let him eat baby food. That will help with the biting.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 10:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Babies can be taught not to bite. I know it hurts when it happens. but you & baby can get through it. When dd would bite me I would take her off the breast & say NO BITE! HURT MOMMY! also a few times she bit me so hard Id jump & practically freak out. that kinda scared her so she learned not to do it. It was a rough road but we got through it.
    Breastmilk is nice and sweet for baby like milk from your cereal....dont we all like to drink that?! And have you ever tasted formula?! YUUCKKK!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Why in the world would you want to switch your baby to formula after giving them breastmilk? Forumla probably tastes like shit and your baby probably misses the closeness of being on your breast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I personally do not know how to wean a baby from the breast. I pump milk for my baby because we had many latching problems. If you really want to wean your baby, I hope you find answers that help. I do know that you can teach babies to not bite, but if that is more than the problem, do what you think is best for you both. Good luck on find the advice you need.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 10:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Try pumping.. or teach him not to bite. Formula is gross to breastfed babies.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I breastfed my daughter for about 3-4 months, and I switched over to formula no problem. Starting out 1ce a day feed formula, the rest of the day do breast milk and increase to 2 times the next day, and so forth! And if you still want to nurse even though your baby is biting, just gently unlatch the baby from you and say no-no! And after repeated times the baby will learn and get the hang of it!! *Hope I helped*
    amber_1024

Answer by amber_1024 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If he bites stop the feeding. Break his latch totally and remover him for a minute and sharply tell him no. If he does it 3 times feeding is over. I lay my girl facing away from me (she has only bitten a few times).
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If you still want wean... first try Good Start formula, it's sweeter like breastmilk. And try a bottle of mostly breastmilk with an oz formula and work up until it's full strength over several days.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2008