• In the Spotlight:

OH I FEEL LIKE A TERRIBLE MOTHER! I woke up to my son crying, which is normal. He normaly wakes up, plays with his toys, then starts crying that he's done and wants to get out of his room. So i got out of bed, threw on my robe, and opened my door to find his door open!

(his room is next to mine) i started freaking out. So i thought, maybe my dh came home and put him in his highchair for breakfast and just forgot to tell me? I started heading for the living/dining room to check, and on my way i saw my kitchen. It was a MESS! things were taken out of cabinets and strewn all over the floor. (thank God he didn't get into the trash) I could still hear him crying, so i started calling his name, just to find that he had closed himself in the bathroom. he wasn't wet so he didn't get into the toilet, but he did get to his potty chair, and again, thank God, NOT the trash can. I'm still trying to figure out how he got out of his room but couldn't get out of the bathroom...they have the same knobs! The front door was halfway unlocked, thankfully he gave up before he unlocked it all the way (i'm supposing this happened..) OMG I FEEL TERRIBLE!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its ok. just be careful from here on out and make sure his door is closed. my 2 yr old will get out of his bed and knock on his door when he wants up. but dont feel bad :)
    aiden1337

Answer by aiden1337 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Hey it happens.... My DS when he was a toddler got out of his room one morning and DH and I found him in the kitchen with an empty bottle of rubbing alcohol.

It was a full bottle the night before, and I for whatever reason left it on the kitchen table that night...
    Of course in the morning when we found our DS, with the empty bottle he smelled of rubbing alcohol. Unsure if he drank some we called poison control and they told us to take him to the ER immediately. So we did...

It turn out that he never drank any he just dumped it on himself....one thing I can say after that morning I became supper alert of every little sound...and made sure that I was always up before my kids.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• So normal for moms of boys! I'm sure girls do stuff like this too, but I think the boys throw some extra "umph" into it. We have purposely put the crib mattress on the lowest setting and do not allow ANYTHING in bed with him because we know that this is going to happen. Don't beat yourself up over this.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i make sure i keep my door open because my daughter (17 months) can open her door now too.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I have found out lately that those child doorhandles are GREAT.Without them I would chasing my son down outside all the time.He got out one day and hid on the porch.We paniced! my SO heard him laughing and that is how we found him.We went to Wal-Mart that day and got some.
    wifey2006

Answer by wifey2006 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Get one of the door know locks. My friend's VERY smart two and a half year old boy cannot even figure these out. Just put it on the inside of his door and he won't be able to escape. Don't beat yourself up too bad, it's scary, but he's ok. Here's the link for the door knob locks.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2967823
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Yeah i left a glass of water next to the computer (dumb me!) but thankfully he didn't get to that either. He didn't get into anything he was allowed to get into. instead he went to the kitchen and bathroom, the 2 places he's only allowed in if me or dh is in there with him. Thank you mommies for letting me know it's ok and i'm not the only one that went through this! I swear i thought his door was closed all the way, dh put him to bed last night, and he says he did...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• lol my son is playing in the vaccume right now... he cant hurt it but i have heard use a baby gate infront of their door.. but i like it when my son goes to our room instead of anywhere else first... we never latch our door... he will come in and tell me he had an accident... he has gotten into the fridge b4 too... eggs are fun to clean up!! slimy buggers
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 10:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Don't feel bad, kids are escape artists. If you're really concerned, put a baby gate in his doorway. Ask him to call for you when he wants to get up. Even if he can open the door, he probably can't get by the gate.
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 11:01 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Get a lock on the top of the front door, a latch lock that he can't reach. My daughter has gotten out before, I was in another room and I heard the front door open. Once my husband got my younger daughter up before I was awake and she tore apart the linen closest. Just have to find deterants ffor this new age
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2008