Why do you go to church?

Why do you go? I am not trying to be offensive at all but I don't understand. Do you believe you have to be in church to pray? To go to heaven? To praise God? I think life is so short and precious and I could not imagine spending all that time in a church. I am atheist but I think even if I were a christian or any other faith I would not go to church.

jenae_gist

Asked by jenae_gist at 12:32 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I am Christian and also a church-goer. I'm usually pretty faithful to going to church, but I haven't been in probably half a year. I go for the message and for the fellowship. I definitely don't believe you have to go to church to pray or to be a Christian (or any other religion). I believe you can do that from home, your car or the store. Wherever you are. But, church isn't bad if you find the right one. It all depends on the person's needs and desires to grow a relationship with their God.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• why go? to be in fellowship with like-believers, to share in worship and praise of God, to gain wisdom and learn from others, to have a reprieve from the world, etc.
    do i have to be in a church to pray? heck no! i can pray anywhere. God is not limited to four walls and a cross, a row of pews and a collection plate. see, my God is omnipresent..i can talk to Him anytime of day, any place i may be..i don't even have to say a word! my God knows what is on my heart!
    time spent in church? its not a ton of time, OP. most people spend more time grocery shopping than they do at a worship service. i spend 30mins/day/5days/wk walking for health..i spend two services, physically in a church building..that usually adds up to 2 1/2 -3hrs/wk. its not nearly as much time as ordinary activities that we do every day, every week, every month.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i went untill i was 16 an di hv enot went bk since
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I go to church for fellowship and friendship with other believers. I enjoy listening to the message of the pastor and meditating on that message over the coming week. In actuality, it really isn't that much time to be revived in your faith. We go for 2 hours, every Sunday. There are 168 hours in a week. 56 are spent sleeping (8 hours a night). 112 hours left in a week and only 2 are spent in church. And it's not about the time, it's about the quality of the time. We sing, we praise, we fellowship, we feel rejuvenated and ready to tackle the week ahead. The rest of the week, I have daily time where I reflect on the message, pray, and read the Bible. I spend more time on my own, in prayer, with God than I do in a church building. It's not just about going to church and leaving, it's about developing a relationship with God - and that doesn't require a church building. Church is just another way of expressing our love for God.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'm Pagan and I attend a UU fellowship and I attend open circles.
    Why do you go to church?
    I enjoy the fellowship with other people, the sermons at the UU and being with like minded people.
    .Do you believe you have to be in church to pray?
    Not at all. I can worship my Gods just fine on my own whereever I am at. There is no requirement for me to assimble with others.
    To go to heaven?
    I'm not concerned with what happens after death, be it some kind of afterlife or none at all.
    To praise God?
    I do enjoy praiseing the Gods. I don't need a church, fellowship, circle or coven to do so. I am quite capable of doing that on my own.

I go to fellowship and participate in public ritual because I want to be involved with other people, shareing a common experience and build up the bonds of freindships which appreciating all of humanity.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:25 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I go because the people in my church are family to me.. I love them, love spending time with them, hanging out and worshipping God together with them!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The faith I belong to doesn't have a specific place or building for a church...but will gather in a building like say a rented school gym or a room in a Phoenix Inn, and on Sundays we gather in a believer's home..usually referred to as an elder's home who will lead the meeting with a hymn, and in prayer..etc. In the bible it states that the believers are the body of Christ...meaning the believers are apart of the faith in Christ and shouldn't be separated from one another. Each part of the body(believers) has a special place to fulfill...kinda like the human body...when one is suffering..all suffer...when one is missing..all feel the absence. It also states not to forsake the assembling of yourselves together. It's a place where we can excersize our faith, admonish, and be admonished by those who share the same faith.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 8:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I am a Pagan and I don't go!
    earthgoddess669

Answer by earthgoddess669 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• This is an easy question. I go because I want to. I go Sunday morning , Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening. To me church is like being married. We do not ignore our spouse, and I do not want to ignore my God. I Love both, and when you love you give it your all. If a person can't give their all, do not get married and leave your belief alone also, because both require commitment.

God was so committed He hung on a cross for us.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 7:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010