Wal-mart stopped carrying material and patterns. So this made me think, do people even try to sew anymore?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• People do. :-) But the reason why Walmart doesn't anymore is simple: They don't make a lot of $ off of it. Their big bucks are in groceries and electronics. Just look at their commercials what they are geared to and look at how departments like sporting goods and TLE are shrinking. It's all about the money honey! Joann Fabrics, Hancock Fabrics are better anyways.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:59 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I sew occasionally. Mostly summer clothes though.And I have a friend who sews a lot, so I think wal mart just cut that section altogether. They just out up a new Joanns by my house so I go there
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• not all stopped! I just moved, from where i just moved from, they stopped carrying them. here, i have 3 walmarts i can choose to go to. (i have more, but 2 are close to me and 1 is close to the in laws and my dad) but 1 out of those 3 have a small section with material and patterns. which is great, although i don't sew, sometimes i use material in my scrapbooks and crafts with the kids. but if they ever do get rid of it, thankfully i have a store around the corner that sells nothing but materials and stuff there.

but in answer to your question, yes, i think alot of people have stopped. most people just do buttons and hems...nothing having to do with alot of meterial. except for my aunt. she won't ever stop sewing lol. and i know some women that turn pants into skirts....
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• That is SOOO sad to me. I just taught myself to sew. Our local JoAnns fabrics is closing too D:

I am going saturday and buying everything I can afford.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:00 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I also read an article that said a lot of Joanns are declaring bankruptcy... so im sure the sewing world is declining
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• they still have a great selection of both at hobbylobby...not that i sew or anything..
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sewing is still around..
    I think Walmart dropped it for other things & because craft stores are becoming more common. Where I live WalMart, Hobby Lobby & Michaels are all on the same road, less than 3 minutes of each other..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'm just learning, my grandma didn't do much and my mom didn't at all. I only took interest after having two girls and thinking about all the fun dresses we could make. lol While some Walmarts still do carry fabric, they will also be phasing out. I asked our manager when they discontinued it here.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I love sewing.......although normally I go to JoAnn Fabrics, Michaels or AC Moore for fabric
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The three Walmart locations near me still have their craft department's intact. We still have fabric and patterns. Just not as much as we used to. I am lucky enough to have a JoAnns around the corner from my house. I sew occasionally. I actually knit and crochet more, so I am a little sad that the yarn section has shrunk a bit too. The closet Hobby Lobby for me is almost a half hour away. Michael is close and I think they have better buyers than JoAnns.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:59 AM on Jul. 29, 2010