What do you think about personal prophecies or "word of knowledge"?

I attended pentacostal churches my whole childhood until I was 24. Most of the "prophecies" never came true- that would be blamed on the person sinning or some lame excuse instead of not admitting that they were wrong and ppl tend to go overboard-opinions?
I dont think I will ever attend another pentacostal church due to these reasons

lovmyhubby

Asked by lovmyhubby at 1:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• One church I attended our pastor told us whenever we received a personal word to not receive it immediately (take it into our spirit and come into agreement with it) but to write it down, make sure it lined up with what was in the bible etc. We can be given a prophetic word and sometimes it does require action on our part. Also, as a pp said...if it doesn't come to pass, it could mean it was not from God.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You know I grew up pentacostal too and I don't remember any prophecies that were personal. Not that I guess it didn't happen I can remember the ones for the church as a body but not for a person. I when every wednesday and twice on Sunday until I was in my 30's. But like you I have reasons I won't go back. You should worship where you are comfortable. If you feel the need to go to church. As around or just ask god to speak to your heart and help you pick a new church.

Blessings
    Sherry
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 2:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The test of a prophet is whether or not what he says comes true. That's from the Bible! So if it doesn't come to pass, it wasn't from God. You can't keep people from saying whatever they choose to say, but you don't have to believe it until you see it with your own eyes. I've been in services where people said all kinds of things, but I don't sit around waiting for it to happen, and it has not affected my walk with God. Just because some person said it does not mean that it was from God!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't like them, they freak me out. DH and I, My BIL, and BIL's wife, all had "prophecies" made about us that we would be "Soldiers of God in the End days" ALL at Separate Times, ALL by different people. I was 15, it was Mom's Boyfriend. DH was 12, it was a women in their church. BIL was 17, woman at his then GF's church, and his wife was 15, at a different church. I think they are all a bunch of loonies, and I don't need folks speaking that insanity into my life.
    truthrowan

Answer by truthrowan at 2:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I agree with NannyB, I used to go to a penecostal church and it really jacked my head up for a while and I left when I moved. Now I go to a different kind of church and couldn't be more happier.
    sissy35

Answer by sissy35 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Also, the church I attend now will tell you... no parking lot prophets please - in other words.. don't walk up to people with a word or prophecy for them... if you feel you have a word of knowledge for someone they are to go to a pastor and talk to them first.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I do believe in words of knowledge, but the only way to tell if the prophecy is true is if is comes to pass. Also, it has to line up with Scripture. I received a word of knowledge at a prayer meeting that my tubes were being healed (one was blocked and they were both damaged). The next time I had a laparscopic surgery, the doctor confirmed that they are both open and healthy. I have the before and after medical records. On the flip side, I had a friend who said she had received words of knowledge that she would be healed of her cancer, and she ended up passing away. I think we have to pray, then be at peace with whatever God allows in our lives. He does know best.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• When I was going to the charismatic church, I was very angry with God because some of the words of knowledge did not come to pass. I eventually realized that they were not always from God, and I cannot be mad at Him because He does not let me be a back seat driver when He is working out His plans for me.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010