how to get rid of bed bugs?

We saw bed bugs in our room about 6 months ago so we suspected that our mattress had them so we threw it out and bought a new one hoping that would get rid of the problem. Now we discovered them in our couch. This time we're just going to move out of the old apartment we are living in. Our DD is crawling around now too, and this place just totally creeps me out. I don't think we can keep this couch anymore even if we thoroughly clean it because they could be deep within the fabric - what do you think? (so sad, we only purchased it a year 2 yrs ago for like $1200. sigh...what a waste.. )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• this was the most searched topic on yahoo.com a couple weeks ago. We had bed bugs too...I had no idea what they were. I thought they were only like in foreign places but we ended up getting them, I researched them and discovered they came from a dresser we got from a friend who had it in his garage, they can go a whole 18 months without food. It was so gross they started breeding in my sons crib, never bit him but it was soo nasty and they only came at night. Then we saw them on the couches too. Ughh, just thinking about it, anyways so I found out that you could kill them with alcohol so we bought a few bottles of rubbing alcohol and put them in an empty spray bottle and gradually sprayed the whole apartment, also heat like lots of heat, so we sprayed with rubbing alcohol and used a hair dryer and blow dried the bed and the couches and they died! Washed everything, clothes, furniture, pretty much the whole apartment.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:07 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Just b/c you move out doesn't mean you are going to get rid of the problem. I would google it or call someone that can take care of it for you....before you move.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 3:08 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• From what I just saw on TV they are so small, it takes an exterminator to get rid of them.They hide in places you would not think of looking. People apparently bring them in their homes from traveling on their clothes and suitcases etc, seems to be a real epedemic. If you just move, they will just move with you, you need to get rid of them. Good luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• This is a funny question don't have a real answer since they hid everywhere and you bring them with you wherever you go and back home, but I heard this morning on the radio taking my daughter to school that New York has a huge epedemic of them right now they are in hotels, apartments and even paosh Condos so I guees even the rich have them.
    I'd call an exterminator to get rid of them. GL
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Moving does NOT get rid of the problem, you will just take them with you. You need to hire an extermintor and wash literally everything you own. My friend went through this a year ago and it was a nightmare, they live forever and are even harder to get rid of the longer you wait, you are just letting them spread all over your place.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• sadly you have to throw out your couch, if you are moving you need to check all your furniture even tiny corners to see that you are not taking any with you. wash all your clothes, make sure they come out completely dry from the dryer and yes hire an exterminator or buy a bed bug killer spray from your pest control center.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 2:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2010