Does Percocet help with Depression?

I had my baby 14 days ago and I was kinda depressed through my pregnancy due to losing my father and the father of my child walking out on her. After I had her through c-section, they put me on Percocet for the pain. Well I have noticed a HUGE difference in my mood recently and I know that my daughter has a huge part in that, but I have noticed when I take the percocet, in about an hour, I get extremely happy and more loving towards other people. (My boyfriend is loving it. No more "picking on him" as he calls it.) Does anyone know if percocet helps with depression?

mommy_0f_2_2010

Asked by mommy_0f_2_2010 at 2:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i doubt it but Oh boy is is a hell of a drug. I loveeeeeddd that stuff when i gave birth. i only got it the hospital :( lol!! i gave birth vaginally
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i had a c section and yes it can help your mood. but that is why ppl get so addicted to it. : (
    it does make you very lovie and relaxed. talk to your doc they can put you on other stuff that will help with those feelings. and congrats on your new baby!!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Thanks :)
    mommy_0f_2_2010

Comment by mommy_0f_2_2010 (original poster) at 2:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's not a depression med, but it does get you a little "high" and I would blame THAT on your improved mood when taking it. Be careful, a lot of people get addicted chasing that high you are describing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No, Percocets are not prescribed for depression. I would say you're feeling the euphoric effects of the drug and that is what is making you "happy" and "loving" towards people. Unfortunately, that's why people get so addicted to pain medication, because it makes you feel good!

I would only take the medication when you are REALLY in pain and once the prescription runs out, see how you feel. If you are still feeling depressed after that, talk to your doctor.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No, Percocet doesn't help with depression because Percocet is a central nervous system depressant! If anything, it's going to make your problem worse over time.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• NO!!! Percocett is a pain pill.& if you are taking Percocett & breastfeeding,your baby is getting this pain medication as well.If you are feeling depressed ,it could be Post Partum depression which is natural after giving birth.If your depression is really bothering you,tell your doctor.Good luck!
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 12:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2010