What is the best thing to use for a sink that had grease poured down it?

Our sink has been clogged and just found out that every time my husband washes the dishes he pours any grease/oil down the drain.

tazdvl

Asked by tazdvl at 3:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• get the biggest pot u have and boil water, the slowly pour it down, do it over and over till it isent clogged, or else u will have to pay $$$ for a plumber you dont want that!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 3:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yup. Boiling water, over and over and over again. I had to do this whenever my husband does the dishes (it's rare that he does dishes though, LOL). And I'd add a note over the sink that says do no pour grease and/or oil down the drain unless you want to pay hundreds to a plumber to fix the pipes. The threat of hundreds of dollars has helped my husband. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Tell your hubby if he does it again he's gonna have to play plumber! Pour some baking soda down the drain then vinegar. The chemical reaction will loosen & push out the clog. Follow w/ a pot of boiling water. PS just so ya know, plumbers START @ $175, just to come look!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If you cannot budge the clog, go to the local store and buy a drain snake, they are less than $20. Give it a try. Once you get that unclogged then do the boiling water. Try to avoid using the chemical drain cleaners or the compressed air unless you have newer pipes. This could do more harm than good in an older house...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was going to say boiling hot water very slowly over and over again. Hopefully it will loosen and go down. Good luck.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Boiling hot water!!
    Funnybunnies

Answer by Funnybunnies at 1:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You can try a plunger too. I know it sounds kinda gross, but it does work, and you can bleach the sink afterwards. Tell hubby to pour grease in the trash, not down the sink! LOL
    purpleswiper253

Answer by purpleswiper253 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• baking soda, vinegar then run the faucet with hot water
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 2:59 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• A plumber!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Glad he is helping with the dishes but teach that man not to pour grease down the drain anymore! Plumbers are so expensive! I would try the baking soda and vinegar followed by alot of boiling water.
    RhondaJ

Answer by RhondaJ at 12:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2011