How do I get a peony plant to stop growing?

My husband and I were able to get most of them out of the ground but when whoever planted them they put stones down so it is hard to dig up the bulb....not to mention I don't think they were ever dug up and taken apart so the bulb is huge. This summer a few popped back up and and I can't get through all the stones to get the bulb out. Already tried some kind of plant killer.

tazdvl

Asked by tazdvl at 3:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you continue chopping down any greenery that shoots up, you will eventually kill the plant, because it won't be able to feed itself without leaves. It may take another year, though, before that works, but I'd find nipping shoots off more pleasant than trying to dig out the bulb with tons of stones around.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Round Up on the stalk ends
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010