Help, My 15 yr son hates school.

My child is emotionaly handicapped and is in special classes in school. He has decided he will not do anything in school. The school complains he sleeps all day, but if I don't send him we all know I go to jail. It is a fight everymorning just to make him go. I make him go to bed early everynite, but he just lays there in the dark. I have taken everything away but his imagination, only because I can't take that too. I would love any advise you can give on how to make him want to participate in school. If he does not change he will be sent to an alternative career school.

glenndurant

Asked by glenndurant at 11:10 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Emotionally handicapped how? Is he on medication? on an IEP?

Does he get any sleep at night? I'd love to help, but I need more information.

I am guessing this isn't recent behavior, how has he made it through school this far? Or is he just starting high school and maybe that is part of his problem? A new school?
    Pauline03

Answer by Pauline03 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• What does emotialy handicap mean? I know for me, I was teased a lot in school. There was nothing wrong with me, except I was very nerdy. It was eaier to just sleep through class, and keep my mouth shut then to deal with it. I would talk to him, se if people are making him miserable at school. If every time you answer a question in class people laugh and make fun of you, you stop paticipating.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 11:30 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Once medical answers have been discovered, even an emotionally handicapped can respond positively. This is just emotional, not mental or physical, right? Find out what he likes, what's cool to him. Then from there, show him the benefits of an education that will help him achieve that cool life that he desires.

Seems at this point, he really needs direction. Please contact the school counselor about the issue. This may point you to some nice programs suited for teens, such as the FFA.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• You don't mention what his handcap is, but here are some thoughts: is there some issue at school (like bullying), find out why he's not sleeping at night (talk to the doctor), and see about accomodations for him starting his classes later in the day. Statistically, teenagers biological clocks encourage them to stay up late and wake late, but I'd definitely want to rule out any kind of emotional or medical problem that might be causing the problems.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I would do the above and also try to find an interest for him. Does he like to read? How about books on tape. Good books--not the stupid modern day stuff. CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia would be good. Or JR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Historical fiction and biography based history are good choices for young men:-) I don't know about the emotional stuff, but young people need an area where they feel they are competent.  How about some martial arts classes?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2008