Please help! Fever question!

My 13 month old has a fever of 103.2 right now. He went to the doctor yesterday and they said he had a double ear infection. Would that cause his fever to get that high? His temp yesterday was 101.7 and I've been giving him Tylenol because we are out of motrin. Fevers scare me to death and I don't know why. Everytime my son runs fever it scares me and he has never had such a high fever before. Should I be worried or am I overreacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is high but infection can do that to a little guy have you been giving him baths they lower the fevers as wel.
    dynameteduck

Answer by dynameteduck at 4:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• IFBABY STARTED ANTIBIOTICS YESTERDAY THEN FEVER COULD GET WORSE TODAY --- U SHOULD BE ALTERNATING TYLENOL AND MOTORIN EVERY 4 HOURS LEAST THATS WHAT I WOULD DO ..... LOTS LOTS OF FLUIDS CRUSHED ICE, GATORADE, WATER, GINGERALE, POPSICLES ANYTHING HE WILL TAKE HE NEEDS A LUKE WARM BATH NOT COLD... COOL RAG ON FACE AND HEAD ------- I HAVE 3 KIDS ALL OF THE R DIFFERENT WHEN IT COMES TO FEVER,, 7,6, AND 13 MONTHS , BUT IF YOU CANT GET FEVER TO BREAK -- I WOULD GO BACK TO DR ASAP
    jjpnelson

Answer by jjpnelson at 4:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• OH YEAH MSKE SURE HE IS GETTING RIGHT DOSE OF TYLENOL OR MOTORIN....
    jjpnelson

Answer by jjpnelson at 4:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Whenever you question something on your child, give your pedi a call. They all have answering services that will get an on'call physican/PA to call you back. You can explain the situation and they can tell you if its normal or if you need further medical follow up.
    I can say, that a temp. that high, is normal for most children. Antibiotics take 48-72 hrs to really start working.
    But I would still call the on call, just to make sure!
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 5:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• This can be very normal with an ear infection. The pp is correct about the Tylenol/Motrin alternating being very effective, but some doctors will not recommend this as if you need to be very careful. to make sure you are not giving too much of one, or that you give the Motrin back to back every 4 hours as this can be dangerous. When I do this, I make a chart with the times and doses of the medicine. I know some people may think it's easy, but 4 hours later when you have a sick kid, you can get confused as to which one you gave 4 hours ago.

Also, make sure you little one is getting plenty of fluids. You really don't want to get into dehydration and it will help the fever. I hope he gets better soon!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• When my son had a very high fever (they scare me to death too cause my sons did not have fevers very often) it was 103 and the middle of the night so I rushed him to the E.R. they told me to alternate Tylenol and Motrin but Tylenol every 4hrs and Motrin every 6hrs and that worked wonderfully fever came down in no time.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 8:14 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Fevers are the body's way of keeping infection in check and healing itself. A fever of 103 is not dangerous...high...but well within acceptable range. you want to lower the fever for comfort but not eliminate it. It's nothing to be afraid of. Read this: it will ease your mind http://www.drgreene.com/qa/fevers
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:10 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My son had ear infections all the time. And yes,a fever of that magnitude is something to worry about. You need to get that fever to go down by giving him one of the children's medicines of your choice that has a fever reducer in it. And you might want to cool his body down by giving him a bath but don't get water in the ear that's got the infection.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2010