How to get my Dd on a schedule?

I'm going crazy. It's time for a change. My Dd has not napped the past two days. I think she's teething, but still, I'm beside myself with anger at having to deal with her being whiny after a day of no nap! She's not even sleeping extra at night!

So, I've been trying to get her on a schedule, waking up at the same time, same time for meals, and then nap/bed at the same time. I've been doing this for a week, and today she refuses lunch... and of course nap...

Is she just trying to get back at me for putting her on a schedule? I know her teeth are hurting her, and I've given her stuff for it, but still she won't eat/sleep!

What am I doing wrong?

Here's what I was doing: up at about 7, breakfast at 8, lunch at 11, nap at noon, snack when she wakes up, dinner at 5 and then a snack before bed around 7-7:30...

she's 15 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try the quiet time with a few of her favorite things or maybe something that will seem new because she hasn't played with it in weeks. It will give you both a break. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• She may be getting her molars in - my 2 YO did this when he was teething at about the same age, it only lasted about two weeks before he got back on schedule. I don't think she's fighting the scheduling (babys prefer predictable patterns, it makes them feel secure), it could be that she's just that uncomfortable.
    Even if she's not napping, try putting her in her crib with a favorite toy or two for "quiet time". It worked with my little one.
    Also, we used Hyland's teething tablets (they're homeopathic, chamomile and ginger I think). We would put four in his sippy cup with whatever he was drinking at lunch and bedtime snack, it knocked the pain back enough that he could rest. When he was awake we stuck to tylenol or motrin.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't think she's fighting the schedule either, it's just the teething. Just take a few deep breaths from time to time and remember that this is only going to last for a couple weeks.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Hasn't your mouth ever hurt? That is some serious pain. Not only does your mouth hurt but your whole head aches and sometimes your neck. Lying down makes it even worse. You wouldn't want to eat or sleep either. A schedule is not going to fix that, you are just creating more stress.

You need to be patient. You might be going crazy, but she's hurting. Meds do NOT last long, especially if they are over used. oragel can make the pain worse, can burn, and numbs everything but where the pain is. Put some in your own mouth to see what I'm talking about. Cold, cuddles, love and patience and your understanding is what she needs. She's also entering a growth spurt which is especially ironic because she's hungry AND teething which would make the best of us whiny and crabby.

If she's sleeping 5 or morre hours at night consider yourself lucky. Naps don't last forever.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010