Does breast feeding hurt as much as they say?

My sister came to visit and one night when she was getting into the shower she took off her bra and her nipples were REALLY red and sore looking...she said that for her it really hurts to breast feed and constantly has to pump. I plan on breast feeding Brent, but I'm worried I won't do it right, or that it will hurt too much for me to keep it going for 6 months...

Did it hurt for you...is it normal to be in pain while breast feeding...does it just simply depend on the mommy and baby (I have a feeling I will get a lot of, "it depends" replies)

NBCMommy101

Asked by NBCMommy101 at 8:21 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It does hurt at first. You nipples actually get used to it.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think pumping hurts worse though.
    jenae_gist

• how new is her baby? yes it can be a bit of a breaking in period with some soreness, cracking and some pain. there are great products though to help with that. in a bit of time it will stop though, your body will get used to its new purpose and it will become painfree and easy as pie
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:24 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If your baby is latching on properly, it shouldn't hurt for long. I've breastfed all 5 of mine and never been in "pain" Uncomfortable, yes but not true pain. Breastfeeding is definitely easier than pumping!

Answer by missanc at 8:25 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My first really hurt when he would latch on. It was temporary.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Oh ok, thanks guys :-)

My niece was 5 months at the time when they came to visit a couple months ago
    NBCMommy101

Comment by NBCMommy101 (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• 1. Latch is important. If she was 5mo seems like something was not going right :( Poor mommy!
    2. There is an adjustment period for your nipples & its not all breezy but its worth it & you should become educated on BF before baby is born & once baby is here ask for a lactation consultant at your hospital! Or/and visit the LLL in your area.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• imo it is NOT supposed to hurt that much. that's what everything breastfeeding book/article i have ever read says. if latch is off then it will hurt and some babies have troulbe getting their latch right. seeing a lactation consultant can help. with my first, it was kind of uncomfortable for a while but then did not hurt at all by a few weeks. with my second, he has latch problems so it will hurt the first minute or so but not too bad.
    my cousin quit BFing because she said it just hurt so bad & idk if it was poor latch or what. i felt bad for her, she didn't have a lactation consultant either.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It shouldn't hurt much if at all. I had pain for maybe the first five to ten seconds,after that nothing. it's more discomfort than anything. Contact your local La Leche League and tell your sister Lansinoh Oinment.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Breastfeeding is different for everyone. A friend of mine helped me out when I nursed my 2nd -- she absolutely loved it and never had an ounce of pain the entire time she nursed. Me on the other hand, it was nothing but a grueling process that made me reconsider ever Bfing again... however I have since changed my mind. I miss nursing my son so much...

I tried everything to prepare my nipples for nursing: roughing them up, pumping once a day the last week of my pregnancy to prepare them for when or if I had to pump, etc. I used Lanolin like it was my job to keep them from drying up or cracking. But then my son was born a lazy sucker and once he did start sucking he never took in the breast, just the tip of the nipple - causing me to experience a great amount of pain. I also ended up with Masititis too. But after the first 2 months it was easy and so amazing!! It's totally worth the challenge if you can get yourself thru it!
    RealHousewifeOH

Answer by RealHousewifeOH at 11:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2010