When you started potty training,..

Your child to actually go on the toilet (poo or pee)? Like the first or second day or later than that? Once you start should you keep going or if they aren't interested stop?

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 8:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here's what we did. We started by putting our son on the potty once a day at the same time (right after dinner/before bath). If he sat, great. If he refused, we moved on. Eventually he'd sit willingly and typically pee (it took a couple of months to get to this point). We then started training since we knew he was ready. The first two days, He ran around in just a shirt. I put him on the potty ever 45 minutes (use a timer to keep track). If he peed, we celebrated. If he didn't, we tried every 10 minutes until he either peed or had an accident. Then we started the process again (adjust the times based on your experience). By day 3, we went to underwear. It's easier if you stay home for a few days to do this. He had the basic idea by day 3 although pooping took longer. Although others will argue against it, we used pullups when we went out initially.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I've given my baby potty opportunities since birth and we've been completely out of diapers for a month with only 1-2 accidents a day and often several days of no accidents at all. She's 10 months old. I practice elimination communication.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• momofryan07 - I am a stay at home mom so I am able to be with my son, but while he'll sit on the potty whenever, it's been day two and he still hasn't gone in the toilet. I am not really stressed, and he isn't either, he likes sitting on the toilet (and the stuff next to it on the sink:) but I just don't know whether to keep going or what not. He shows all the signs of being ready so I am just ocnfused :) lol. Thanks for the tips!
    Ctepanee

Comment by Ctepanee (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010