Breastfeeding isn't helping me lose weight

I breastfed my first baby and didn't lose any pregnancy weight until after I quit at 9 months. I am currently breastfeeding my second 4 month old and I have actually gained weight since his birth instead of losing it. I read that breastfeeding is the best for losing weight but it isn't working for me. Has anyone else had this problem and do you have any suggestions to help me lose this weight.

bbchic

Asked by bbchic at 8:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Sorry no. I lost weight while breastfeeding then I gained it all back when I stopped.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Milk is heavy and you are still making it. How are you doing in the inches category?

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You know what's best for losing weight? Eating right and exercising. Breastfeeding won't do it. Get off your butt and go for a walk.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• BF is no miracle weight loss program ;-)
    When BF sometimes we take in too many extra calories so watch what you eat-- 500 calories are NOT alot!! Especially when most of us eat more than our days worth of calories before pregnancy... And get moving more..
    congrats on bf though!! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Breastfeeding never helped me lose any weight either. I didn't shed my extra pounds until I got into a serious fitness routine and modified my diet. I've heard the breastfeeding-for-weight-loss thing for years, and perhaps it does work for some people, but it didn't for me. Still, it was good for the babies and I was able to lose the weight later. But I agree with the 2 suggestions above me--you could at least start taking strides towards getting into an exercise routine and healthy eating now, then kick it up a few notches when baby's done breastfeeding.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I am BFing and have lost 45lbs since my DD was born in January. It's because I completely changed my diet and started a exercise program(P90X) that i do religiously. If you want to loose weight, do something about it, don't just sit around and wish it would go away because it won't work. Be lieve me, I did that for 2 years lol.

FranksHoney

Answer by FranksHoney at 11:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 1:55 PM on Aug. 1, 2010