Need to change this routine!!!

My 16 month old son has no problem going to sleep in his crib. He stays there until about 1 am.....then cries continually until I go in and get him. What do I do to stop this?? I have tried letting him cry it out and he kept it up for hours...then go back to sleep for 15 minutes and wake back up again and cry and cry. I bring him milk and he doesn't want it. My patience is wearing pretty darn thin!

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a swing (its a bigger swing) and i have bolts put threw a beam in my house and i hook the swing up on that i turn on her cartoons and usually i go to sleep on the couch and when she is tired again she calls out to mom and i ask her if she is ready to go back to bed and she 99.9 % of the time says yes, i bring her back in and put her back in her crib. and she dont stir no more till about 9 or 10 the next morning! Its worth a try, my daughter loves the swing and she out grew them infant ones pretty quickly!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 8:59 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Is he teething? scared? in a growth spurt? learned anything new? needing comfort? been vaccinated recently? change in food? you'll need to night parent periodically, if you've had a baby who was a long sleeper, you just aren't used to it. This ill happen again until sleep settles into a regular pattern at age 3 or 4. The vast majority of babies and toddlers wake.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• what does he do if you sit in his room with him? i would try rubbing his back until he settles down and then staying with him until he falls asleep. does he have toys in his bed and a night light so he can see them? that might help if he doen't
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 9:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If I sit in his room with him, he will scream at the top of his lungs until I pick him up. He won't want to play, only have me hold him until he falls back asleep. If I put him back in his crib, he just starts screaming again. He does have a night light in there and he has his stuffed dog in his crib but thats it. I might try to see if I can get him to lay down and try rubbing his back, but usually when I try to lay him back down, he wants nothing to do with that. It's just weird that he has no problem initially falling asleep in his crib but when he wakes up in the middle of the night, he hates it.
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Put him to sleep later so that he will actually be tired. Keep him very active during the day. Put him to bed and if he still wakes up, treat him just like a baby that you're trying to teach how to cry it out. go in there and make sure he's ok, give him a kiss, and say good night. let him cry for 5-10 minutes at a time. There's not really anything you can do besides tough it out because if you start catering to him or taking him into your bed it will only start a habit that will be very hard to break
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• How does he fall asleep in the beginning of the night? In your arms or do you just lay him down? Every kid is so different. My 12 month old used to fall asleep on his own, but started fighting it a lot and needing my help a few months ago. I think there are 2 big reasons - he's much more active/playful and he misses me more. Here's what's working for us right now: after a calming period (books, etc.) I lay him in his crib with a paci and spend about 5 minutes soothing him (rubbing forehead, head and back). Every time he stands up, I just lay him back down. Then I leave. 10 minutes later I come back in, check for a dirty diaper and soothe him again for a few minutes then leave. Repeat until he's asleep. This takes time, but it works! If he wakes up in the middle of the night and calls for me, I just check for dirty diaper, give him a paci, soothe and walk away. No milk, no picking him up, no talking (besides "Shhhh...")
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2010