Do you let your baby Cry it Out? or use the Ferber method? Why or why not? and if so at what age do you start? How long do you let them cry? Does it work for you? Do they sleep through the night? and at what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• what is the ferber method..?? i had twins and they slept thru the night at 2 months old. and i did let them cry but only for a few minutes. but you got to remember it wastwo of them.. not just one.. if you have checked everything r they hungry, wet, too cold too hot. and they are ok then i would say its ok.. some babies just need to cry.. to let it out..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• My son slept through the night at about one month. My daughter at about 6 months. They never had to "cry it out". However for some reason after they turned a year old they both didn't want to go to bed. So I would let them cry it out then. It would only last about 5 to 10 min.

I don't agree with letting a child cry it out all the time though. If they're hurt in any way or hungry or need a diaper change or need to be held...it's important to comfort and care for them. But if they're over a year old and don't want to go to sleep, well that's a different story. But you have to determine first that it's just that they don't want to go to bed and not something that needs attention.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• My son is eight months old, and if he has been fed, been changed, and he doesnt seem sick or have a fever....then i let him cry it out. A mother can tell when her baby has something seriously wrong with them. And if they appear fine, aside from the fact they are crying then there is nothing wrong with letting them cry it out. I usually only let it go on for about 10 minutes, maybe just a bit longer but not much. If he is still crying histarically then i pick him up and comfort him a bit. And if he still seems fine and just wanting to be held just for the sake of it, then i lay him back down and leave him there. I only do this for nap time and bed time. Get back to me if this helps you at all.
    chy821

Answer by chy821 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• My 11 month old was such a great sleeper, I would lay him in his crib and he'd just go to sleep. The past month, however, he doesn't want to sleep!! I lay him down and he will cry for about a minute or two and he's out.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• i never let mine cry it out. children cry when something is wrong. i'd try alternatives to holding them while still trying ot provide that comfort they need.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2008